- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
This title in other editions
Weapon of the Strong: Conversations on Us State Terrorismby Cihan Aksan
Synopses & Reviews
The term ‘terrorism is often applied exclusively to non-state groups or specific ‘rogue states. Far less attention is given to state terrorism carried out or sponsored by democracies, most notably the United States. History shows that this state terrorism has been responsible for the deaths of millions of people.
Weapon of the Strong analyses the forms of US state terrorism through exclusive, never before published interviews with leading commentators and theorists, including Noam Chomsky, Edward S. Herman, Richard A. Falk, Judith Butler, Ted Honderich, Norman Finkelstein and Gilbert Achcar. The interviews explore the different aspects of state terrorism: its functions, institutional supports and the legal and moral arguments surrounding it, and consider specific case studies in Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
Weapon of the Strong makes an indispensable contribution to contemporary debates on terrorism and constructs a damning critique of US foreign policy from World War Two to the present day.
Fresh look at Kurdistan Iraq today, including the role of central government and international forces, and the region's political and economic future.
About the Author
Jon Bailes is a co-founding editor of the online political journal State of Nature.
Cihan Aksan is a co-founding editor of the online political journal State of Nature.
Table of Contents
2. Noam Chomsky: The Definition of Terrorism
3. Richard A. Falk: International Law and Human Rights
4. Marjorie Cohn: Torture as Terrorism
5. Ted Honderich: Morality, Justification, and Responsibility
6. Edward S. Herman: The Media Image of Terrorism
7. Judith Butler: The Discourse of Terror
8. Richard Jackson: Terrorism Studies and Academia
9. Patrick Bond: International Financial Institutions and the Economics of Terrorism
10. Ismael Hossein-zadeh: The Guiding Force of US Militarism
11. Gilbert Achcar: The United States in the Middle East
12. Norman G. Finkelstein: US Support for Israeli State Terror
13. Greg Grandin: The United States in Latin America
14. Daniele Ganser: NATOs Secret Armies in Europe
What Our Readers Are Saying