- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
More copies of this ISBN
Other titles in the Demystified series:
Biology Demystified (Demystified)by Dale Layman
Synopses & Reviews
UNDERSTAND BIOLOGY — WITHOUT DISSECTING ANYTHING!
If youre years removed from your last high school biology class — or if youre just starting out as a student — heres a fast, effective and entertaining way to learn the fundamental facts and concepts of biology.
Written in straightforward, easy-to-grasp language, Biology Demystified will help you understand basic and applied scientific information. As a result, youll gain "instant expertise" in biology — even if youve had no previous formal training in the sciences. The author, an experienced biology professor, uses a host of clever techniques to help you soak up what you really need to know, including:
* Presenting "big picture" principles first — followed by the details
* More than 150 illustrations for solid grounding in basic life sciences
* "Biological Order vs. Disorder" icons for easy category recognition
* A pronunciation guide for difficult biology terms
* Frequent self-testing and reviews to help you retain information
* The original Latin/Greek meanings of many biological terms with entertaining and informative illustrations
* And much, much more!
So if youre looking for a deeper understanding of the world around you, let Biology Demystified be your shortcut!
- A college biology professor presents the fundamental facts, concepts, and principles of biology in an attractive and amusing framework- Great for anyone with an interest in biology, biotechnology, medicine, or the environment- Coverage includes both the anatomy and physiology of organisms as well as ecology and environmental relationships between organisms- Includes a pronunciation guide for difficult biological terms
Say goodbye to dry presentations, grueling formulas, and abstract theory that would put Einstein to sleep--now there's an easier way to master chemistry, biology, trigonometry, and geometry. McGraw-Hill's Demystified Series teaches complex subjects in a unique, easy-to-absorb manner and is designed for users without formal training, unlimited time, or genius IQs.
Organized like self-teaching guides, they come complete with key points, background information, questions at the end of each chapter, and final exams. There's no better way to gain instant expertise!
ABOUT BIOLOGY DEMYSTIFIED:
* A college biology professor presents the fundamental facts, concepts, and principles of biology in an attractive and amusing framework
* Great for anyone with an interest in biology, biotechnology, medicine, or the environment
* Coverage includes both the anatomy and physiology of organisms as well as ecology and environmental relationships between organisms
* Includes a pronunciation guide for difficult biological terms
About the Author
Dr. Dale Layman (Joliet, IL) is a Professor of Biology and Human Anatomy & Physiology at Joliet Junior College. A resident of Joliet, Illinois, Dr. Layman is a frequent author with many international honors and awards. He has more than 28 years of experience in the field of biological sciences.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. The Coming of Biology
Chapter 3. Evolution: From Dawn to Darwin
PART 2: THE UNIVERSAL BUILDING BLOCKS OF LIFE
Chapter 5. Cells: The "Little Chambers" in Plants and Animals
PART 3: THE FIVE KINGDOMS OF LIFE, PLUS VIRUSES
Chapter 7. The Protists: "First of All"
Chapter 9. The Plants: "Kings and Queens" of the World of Green
Chapter 11. The Arthropods: No Jointed Backbone, but "Jointed Feet"
Test: Part 3
Chapter 13. Skins and Skeletons
Chapter 15. Glands and Their Hormone Messengers
Chapter 17. Immune and Lymphatic Systems: "The Best Survival Offense Is a Good Defense!"
Chapter 19. "Getting the Goodies": Nutrition and the Digestive System
Test: Part 4
Appendix: Answers to Quiz, Test, and Final Exam Questions