- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
Used Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
More copies of this ISBN
Science and Philosophy in the West (99 Edition)by Jeffrey C. Leon
Synopses & ReviewsPlease note that used books may not include additional media (study guides, CDs, DVDs, solutions manuals, etc.) as described in the publisher comments.
This book examines the history of science and philosophy in Western thought through an historical presentation of primary selections covering the major developments in science and philosophy. Presents original scientific and philosophical thinking that demonstrates how the relationships and content in science and philosophy change and remain the same through history. Features a comprehensive selection of readings that present scientific and philosophical writings in the major disciplines from the beginning of Western philosophy to the twentieth century. The presentation is roughly historical organized by topics such as physics, chemistry, biology, metaphysics, epistemology, and methodology. Topics range from psychology and biology to the Òhard sciences.Ó An important reference for any medical or science professional as well as readers interested in scientific ethics.
Book News Annotation:
Excerpts from seminal works in both fields, interspersed with commentary on, them document their mutual interaction and influence through western history. Evolving and perennial themes in the relationship emerge through the words of such thinkers as Aristotle, Descartes, Darwin, Einstein, Heisenberg, and Kuhn.
Annotation c. Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
Table of Contents
1. Ancient Dialogues.
2. Greek and Medieval Aristotelian Science.
3. The Seventeenth-Century Revolution in Physical Science.
4. Seventeenth- and Eighteenth-Century Transformations in Metaphysics.
5. Modern Views on Scientific Method.
6. Modern Transformations in Biology and Medicine.
7. The Refinement and Evolution of Mechanical Physics.
8. Science and the Obsolescence of Metaphysics and Religion.
9. Social, Ethical, and Political Dimensions in Science and Technology.
10. Some Twentieth-Century Developments in Physical Science.
11. Twentieth-Century Views on Scientific Method.
12. Science and Philosophy at the Turn of the Millennium.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
History and Social Science » World History » General