- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
More copies of this ISBN
Other titles in the Oxford Illustrated Histories series:
The Oxford Illustrated History of Greece and the Hellenistic World (Oxford Illustrated Histories)by John Boardman
Synopses & Reviews
From the epic poems of Homer to the glittering art and architecture of Greece's Golden Age, to the influential Roman systems of law and leadership, the classical Greek world established the foundations of our culture as well as many of its most enduring achievements.
Now, in this vividly illustrated volume, readers can embrace the spirit of the classical world, from the eighth to the first centuries B.C., a period unparalleled in history for its brilliance in literature, philosophy, and the visual arts. This work also treats the Hellenization of the Middle East by the monarchies established in the area conquested by Alexander the Great. The editors, all celebrated classicists, intersperse chapters on political and social history with sections on literature, philosophy, and the arts, and reinforce the historical framework with maps and historical charts. Moreover, the contributors--thirty of the world's leading scholars--present the latest in modern scholarship through masterpieces of wit, brevity, and style. Together with hundreds of excellent illustrations, theses entries provide both a provocative and entertaining window into our classical heritage.
In this vividly illustrated volume, readers can embrace the spirit of the classical world, from the eighth to the first centuries B.C., a period unparalleled in history for its brilliance in literature, philosophy, and the visual arts. Numerous b&w illustrations. of color plates.
About the Author
About the Editors:
John Boardman is Lincoln Professor of Classical Archaeology and Art and Fellow of Lincoln College, Oxford.
Jasper Griffin is Fellow of Balliol College, Oxford and author of Homer on Life and Death.
Oswyn Murray is Fellow of Balliol College, Oxford and author of Early Greece.
Table of Contents
List of Illustrations
List of Maps
Introduction, Jasper Griffin
1. Greece: The History of the Archaic Period, George Forrest
2. Homer, Oliver Taplin
3. Greek Myth and Hesiod, Jasper Griffin
4. Lyric and Elegaic Poetry, Ewen Bowie
5. Early Greek Philosophy, Martin West
6. Greece: The History of the Classical Period, Simon Hornblower
7. Greek Drama, Peter Levi
8. Greek Historians, Oswyn Murray
9. Life and Society in Classical Greece, Oswyn Murray
10. Classical Greek Philosophy, Julia Annas
11. Greek Religion, Robert Parker
12. Greek Art and Architecture, John Boardman
13. The History of the Hellenistic Period, Simon Price
14. Hellenistic Culture and Literature, Robin Lane Fox
15. Hellenistic Philosophy and Science, Jonathan Barnes
16. Hellenistic and Graeco-Roman Art, Roger Ling
Table of Events
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
» History and Social Science » Western Civilization » Ancient Greece