- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
Used Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
The Best Alternate History Stories of the 20th Centuryby Harry Turtledove
Synopses & Reviews
Explore fascinating, often chilling "what if" accounts of the world that could have existed-and still might yet . . .
Science fictions most illustrious and visionary authors hold forth the ultimate alternate history collection. Here youll experience mind-bending tales that challenge your views of the past, present, and future, including:
• "The Lucky Strike": When The Lucky Strike is chosen over The Enola Gay to drop the first atomic bomb, fate takes an unexpected turn in Kim Stanley Robinsons gripping tale.
• "Bring the Jubilee": Ward Moores novella masterpiece offers a rebel victory at Gettysburg which changes the course of the Civil War . . . and all of American history.
• "Through Road No Wither": After Hitlers victory in World War II, two Nazi officers confront their destiny in Greg Bears apocalyptic vision of the future.
• "All the Myriad Ways": Murder or suicide, Ambrose Harmons death leads the police down an infinite number of pathways in Larry Nivens brilliant and defining tale of alternatives and consequences.
• "Mozart in Mirrorshades": Bruce Sterling and Lewis Shiner explore a terrifying era as the future crashes into the past-with disastrous results.
. . . as well as works by Poul Anderson • Gregory Benford • Jack L. Chalker • Nicholas A. DiChario • Brad Linaweaver • William Sanders • Susan Shwartz • Allen Steele • and Harry Turtledove himself!
The definitive collection: fourteen seminal alternate history tales drawing readers into a universe of dramatic possibility and endless wonder.
About the Author
Harry Turtledove was born in Los Angeles and earned a Ph.D. in Byzantine history from UCLA. He has published a translation of a ninth-century Byzantine chronicle, as well as several scholarly articles. His alternate history works include many short stories, the Civil War classic The Guns of the South, the epic Great War series set in World War I, and the Worldwar tetralogy which began with Worldwar: In the Balance. He is a winner of the Sidewise Award for Best Alternate History for his novel How Few Remain.
Table of Contents
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like