- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Used Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
More copies of this ISBN
Other titles in the Core Knowledge Series series:
Core Knowledge Series #6: What Your Sixth Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Sixth-Grade Educationby E D Hirsch
Synopses & Reviews
What should your child learn in the sixth grade? How can you help him or her at home? This book answers these important questions and more, offering the specific shared knowledge that thousands of parents and teachers across the nation have agreed upon for American sixth graders. Featuring sixteen pages of full-color illustrations, a bolder, easier-to-follow format, and a thoroughly updated curriculum, What Your Sixth Grader Needs to Know, Revised Edition, is designed for parents and teachers to enjoy with children. Hundreds of thousands of children have benefited from the Core Knowledge Series. This revised edition gives a new generation of sixth graders the advantage they need to make progress in school today, and to establish an approach to learning that will last a lifetime. Discover:
• Favorite Poemsold and new, from Edgar Allan Poes classic “The Raven” to Maya Angelous “Woman Work”
• Literaturefrom around the world, including Homers epics the Iliad and the Odyssey, Shakespeares Julius Caesar, and Mark Twains The Prince and the Pauper
• Learning About Languagehe rules of written English, including the four kinds of sentences, common English sayings and phrases, plus an introduction to Greek and Latin roots
• History and Geographyworld history from ancient Greece and the fall of the Roman Empire to the Enlightenment and the French Revolution; American history of the postCivil War era, including the Industrial Revolution, immigration, urbanization, and reform
• Visual Artsa brief history of art, stretching from the classical period through the Renaissance, Baroque, and Romantic periods all the way to the age of realism, with full-color reproductions and discussions of great works by artists such as El Greco, Rembrandt, and Winslow Homer
• Musicunderstanding and appreciating music, including musical notation, chords, and scalesplus biographies of great composers such as Handel, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, and Chopin
• Mathchallenging lessons, ranging from probability and statistics, geometry, ratios and proportions to basic pre-algebra
• Sciencefascinating discussions of plate tectonics, oceans, astronomy, the environment, the human body, and the immune systemplus short biographies of great scientists such as Marie Curie
Grade by grade, these groundbreaking and successful books provide a solid foundation in the fundamentals of a good education for first to sixth graders.
B & W photographs, linecuts, and maps throughout; two-color printing.
About the Author
E. D. Hirsch, Jr., is a professor of English at the University of Virginia and the author of The Schools We Need, The Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, and the bestselling Cultural Literacy. He lives in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Table of Contents
I. Language arts. Stories and speeches ; Poems of inspiration and reflection ; Poems old and new ; Classical myths about love ; Learning about language ; Learning about literature ; Sayings and phrases ; Foreign words and phrases — II. Geography, world civilization, and American civilization. Geography ; World civilization ; American civilization — III. Fine arts. Music ; Sharps, flats, and more about harmony ; Visual arts — IV. Mathematics. Place value, estimation, properties, the symbols ; Expression, exponents, expanded notation, order of perations ; Division ; Fractions ; Fractions, mixed numbers, and decimals ; Measurement ; Proportion, percent ; Geometry ; Area and volume ; Integers ; Working with data : probability, mean, median, range, and mode — V. Natural sciences. Life sciences : Reproduction, heredity, and genetics ; Human health ; Physical sciences : Understanding light ; Sound ; Chemistry ; Wonders of water ; Stories of scientists.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like