- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
This title in other editions
Healing ADD from the Inside Out: The Breakthrough Program That Allows You to See and Heal the Seven Types of Attention Deficit Disorderby Daniel G Amen
Synopses & Reviews
All-New Revised Edition
Attention deficit disorder (ADD) is a national health crisis that continues to grow—yet it remains one of the most misunderstood and incorrectly treated illnesses today. Neuropsychiatrist Daniel G. Amen, MD was one of the first to identify that there are multiple types beyond just purely hyperactive or inattentive ADD, each requiring a different treatment. Now, in this all-new, revised edition, Dr. Amen again employs the latest medical advances in the field, including the largest brain imaging study ever completed on patients with ADD, to identify, examine, and demystify the 7 distinct types of ADD and their specific treatments.
With updated recommendations for nutraceuticals and/or medications targeted to brain type, diet, exercise, lifestyle interventions, cognitive reprogramming, parenting and educational strategies, neurofeedback, and more, Dr. Amens revolutionary approach provides a treatment program that can lead sufferers of ADD to a normal, peaceful, and fully functional life.
Sufferers from ADD often say, The harder I try, the worse it gets.” Dr. Amen tells them, for the first time, why, and more importantly how to heal ADD.
See Dr. Amen's Public Television Special on ADD!
Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) is a national health crisis that continues to grow—yet it remains one of the most misunderstood and incorrectly treated illnesses today. Now, using breakthrough diagnostic techniques, Dr. Daniel Amen has discovered that there are six distinct types of ADD, each requiring a different treatment.
With recommendations for prescription drugs, nutraceutical therapy, cognitive reprogramming, parenting and educational strategies, biofeedback, self-hypnosis and more, Dr. Amens revolutionary approach provides a treatment program that can lead sufferers of ADD to a normal, peaceful, and fully functional life.
Sufferers from ADD often say, The harder I try, the worse it gets." Dr. Amen tells them, for the first time, how to get well.
Dr. Daniel Amen-a pioneer in uncovering the connections between the brain and behavior-presents his revolutionary approach to treating anxiety and depressive disorders. Healing Anxiety and Depression reveals the major anxiety and depression centers of the brain, offers guidelines and diagnostic tools to determine the specific type of anxiety and depression, and provides a comprehensive program for treating each type. Based on new brain science-and featuring treatment plans that include medication, diet, supplements, exercise, and social and therapeutic support-this groundbreaking book will help readers conquer these potentially devastating disorders and change the way they think about anxiety and depression.
About the Author
Daniel G. Amen, M.D., is a clinical neuroscientist, a psychiatrist, and the director of clinics in California, Washington state, and Virginia. In addition to operating a private practice, he is an assistant clinical professor of psychiatry and human behavior at the University of California, Irvine, College of Medicine. He is the author of Healing ADD, Healing Anxiety and Depression, and Change Your Brain, Change Your Life.
Lisa C. Routh, M.D., is a neuropsychiatrist with special training in neurology, general psychiatry, child psychiatry, and functional brain imaging. She lives in Houston, Texas.
Table of Contents
Part I: ADD Uncovered
1. ADD in the Real World: Stories through the Life Cycle
2. The ADD Story
3. Looking into the ADD Brain: The Development of SPECT Imagery in Psychiatry
4. The Amen Clinic ADD Type Questionnaire
Part II: The Six ADD Types
5. Type 1: Classic ADD
6. Type 2: Inattentive ADD
7. Type 3: Overfocused ADD
8. Type 4: Temporal Lobe ADD
9. Type 5: Limbic ADD
10. Type 6: "Ring of Fire" ADD
12. Soft Brain, Hard Skull: Head-Trauma-Induced ADD
13. Self-Medication, Self-Pollution: ADD and Substance Abuse
14. The Games ADD People Play
15. The Impact of ADD on Relationships, Families, School, Work, and Self-Esteem
Part III: The Amen Clinic's ADD Brain Enhancement Program
16. Enhancing ADD Brain Function: Effective Interventions for Treating ADD Types, Including Diet, Exercise, Medications, Supplements, and Behavioral Interventions
17. Dietary Interventions for ADD Types
18. Medication for ADD Types
19. Supplement Strategies for ADD Types
20. Neurofeedback Strategies for ADD Types
Part IV: Optimizing the ADD Life
21. Parenting and Family Strategies
22. School Strategies
23. Sleep Strategies for Getting Up and Going to Bed
24. Killing ADD ANTs: Thinking Skills for Overcoming Past Trauma, Fear, and Failure
25. Focused Breathing: The Immediate ADD Salve
26. ADD Coaching
27. Self-hypnotic Reprogramming for Success
28. What to Do When ADD Treatment Doesn't Work
29. How to Find the Best Help: A Resource Guide
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
Education » Learning Disabilities