- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
The Case for Israelby Alan M. Dershowitz
Synopses & Reviews
Even as Israel boldly offers statehood to Palestinians in exchange for an enduring peace, many academics and activistsprimarily but not exclusively from the hard lefthave gone on the attack against Israel, deriding it as an imperialist power bent on oppressing the Palestinians. On prominent campuses across the United States and throughout the world, petitions circulate asking universities to divest holdings in Israel and to boycott Israeli Jews without regard to their individual views. Virulent opponents of Israel have accused that democracy of unspeakable human rights abuses, while many who believe otherwise remain silent. Now, in this impassioned and closely argued book, Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz sets the record straight and explains why Israel, while not perfect, is in fact the sole outpost of liberty and democracy in the Middle Easta country that has earned the right to exist within secure boundaries and defend itself.
Drawing on scrupulous, unbiased research and his peerless skills as an advocate, Dershowitz conclusively refutes thirty-two separate slurs, slanders, and misrepresentations that have been hurled at Israel in recent years, including:
In demolishing these charges, Dershowitz documents how Israel was founded with the blessing of the United Nationsand how it was Arabs, not Israelis, who initiated the
cycle of violence that still persists today. He proves that the division of Palestine between Israel and the Palestinians has long been accepted by Israel and rejected by most Arabs. He demonstrates why Israeli actions in the West Bank and Gaza are not motivated by territorial ambitions, but by the very real sense that Israel is under attack. And he shows how critics of Israel gloss over the terrorism, human rights abuses, and antidemocratic ideologies of other regimes in the region, substituting bigotry and veiled anti-Semitism for objective analysis. Well reasoned, hard-hitting, and provocative, The Case for Israel is essential reading for anyone who cares about Israel and the ongoing conflict in the Middle East.
The Case for Israel is an ardent defense of Israel's rights, supported by indisputable evidence.
Written in Alan Dershowitz's characteristic hard-hitting style, The Case for Israel defends Israel and its basic right to exist, to protect its citizens from terrorism, and to protect its borders from hostile enemies. This timely and controversial analysis sets the record straight, addressing the accusations leveled against Israel by responding with hard facts and documentation.
About the Author
Alan Dershowitz, the Felix Frankfurter Professor of Law at Harvard Law School, is one of the countrys foremost appellate lawyers and a distinguished defender of individual liberties. He appears frequently on television and has contributed articles to the New York Times and other newspapers and magazines. His many books include the #1 New York Times bestseller Chutzpah and The Vanishing American Jew.
Table of Contents
Preface to the Paperback Edition.
1. Is Israel a Colonial, Imperialist State?
2. Did European Jews Displace Palestinians?
3. Was the Zionist Movement a Plot to Colonize All of Palestine?
4. Was the Balfour Declaration Binding International Law?
5. Were the Jews Unwilling to Share Palestine?
6. Have the Jews Always Rejected the Two-State Solution?
7. Have the Jews Exploited the Holocaust?
8. Was the U.N. Partition Plan Unfair to Palestinians?
9. Were Jews a Minority in What Became Israel?
10. Has Israel's Victimization of the Palestinians Been the Primary Cause of the Arab-Israeli Conflict?
11. Was the Israeli War of Independence Expansionists Aggression?
12. Did Israel Create the Arab Refugee Problem?
13. Did Israel Start the Six-Day War?
14. Was the Israeli Occupation Without Justification.
15. Was the Yom Kippur War Israel's Fault?
16. Has Israel Made Serious Efforts at Peace?
17. Was Arafat Right in Turning Down the Barak-Clinton Peace Proposal?
18. Why Have More Palestinians Than Israelis Been Killed?
19. Does Israel Torture Palestinians?
20. Has Israel Engaged in Genocide against Palestinian Civilians?
21. Is Israel a Racist State?
22. Is the Israeli Occupation the Cause of All the Problems?
23. Has Israel Denied the Palestinians Statehood?
24. Is Israel's Policy of House Destruction Collective Punishment?
25. Is Targeted Assassination of Terrorist Leaders Unlawful?
26. Is Settlement in the West Bank and Gaza a Major Barrier to Peace?
27. Is Terrorism Merely Part of a Cycle of Violence?
28. Is Israel the Prime Human Rights Violator in the World?
29. Is there Moral Equivalence between Palestinian Terrorist and Israeli Responses?
30. Should Universities Divest from Israel and Boycott Israeli Scholars?
31. Are Critics of Israel Anti-Semitic?
32. Why Do So Many Jews and Even Israelis Side With The Palestinians?
Conclusion: Israel-the Jew among Nations.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
Business » Accounting and Finance