- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Used Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
More copies of this ISBN
Thinking in Pictures: And Other Reports from My Life with Autismby Temple Grandin
Synopses & Reviews
Temple Grandin, Ph.D., is a gifted animal scientist who has designed one third of all the livestock-handling facilities in the United States. She also lectures widely on autismbecause Temple Grandin is autistic, a woman who thinks, feels, and experiences the world in ways that are incomprehensible to the rest of us.
In this unprecedented book, Grandin delivers a report from the country of autism. Writing from the dual perspectives of a scientist and an autistic person, she tells us how that country is experienced by its inhabitants and how she managed to breach its boundaries to function in the outside world. What emerges in Thinking in Pictures is the document of an extraordinary human being, one who, in gracefully and lucidly bridging the gulf between her condition and our own, sheds light on the riddle of our common identity.
In this unprecedented book, a gifted animal scientist who is also autistic, delivers a report on autism, written from her unique perspective. What emerges is the document of an extraordinary human being, one who bridges the gulf between her condition and our own, shedding light on the riddle of our common identity.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -220).
About the Author
Temple Grandin has a Ph.D. in animal science from the University of Illinois, and has designed one third of all the livestock-handling facilities in the United States, and many in other countries. She is currently an associate professor of animal sciences at Colorado State University and a frequent lecturer at autism meetings throughout the country. She lives in Fort Collins, Colorado.
Table of Contents
Foreword by Oliver Sacks
1. Thinking in Pictures: Autism and Visual Thought
2. The Great Continuum: Diagnosing Autism
3. The Squeeze Machine: Sensory Problems in Autism
4. Learning Empathy: Emotion and Autism
5. The Ways of the World: Developing Autistic Talent
6. Believer in Biochemistry: Medications and New Treatments
7. Dating Data: Autism and Relationships
8. A Cow's Eye View: Connecting with Animals
9. Artists and Accountants: An Understanding of Animal Thought
10. Einstein's Second Cousin: The Link Between Autism and Genius
11. Stairway to Heaven: Religion and Belief
What Our Readers Are Saying
Average customer rating based on 1 comment:
Other books you might like