- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
This item may be
Check for Availability
The G.O.D. Experiments: How Science Is Discovering God in Everything, Including Usby Gary E. Schwartz
Synopses & Reviews
DOES GOD EXIST ONLY IN OUR HEARTS?
According to highly esteemed scientist Gary E. Schwartz, Ph.D., there is compelling scientific evidence that we no longer have to accept God on faith alone. Through a multidisciplinary approach, Harvard University-educated Dr. Schwartz blends psychology, quantum physics, and mathematics to examine the science of spirit. Faith and science are not mutually exclusive, and abetter understanding of their relationship can lead us to recognize how God operates in everything.
Trained in the scientific method as an "open-minded skeptic," Dr. Schwartz was taught how to raise questions, turn them into hypotheses, and design experiments to test them. He was not trained to consider the nature of God. And yet, his scientific research led him directly to the discovery of God's existence in intelligent evolution and everyday life.
Scientifically rigorous and spiritually reassuring, this eye-opening book is a wake-up call for anyone who wonders about life's true meaning and who longs to believe in the existence of a universal intelligence.
About the Author
Gary E. Schwartz, Ph.D., is a professor of psychology, medicine, neurology, psychiatry, and surgery at the University of Arizona and director of its Laboratory for Advances in Consciousness and Health. After receiving his doctorate from Harvard University, he served as professor of psychology and psychiatry at Yale University, director of the Yale Psychophysiology Center, and co-director of the Yale Behavioral Medicine Clinic, before moving to Arizona in 1988. He has published more than four hundred scientific papers and coedited eleven academic books. He is the author of The Afterlife Experiments and The Truth About Medium and coauthor of The Living Energy Universe.William L. Simon is a screen and television writer and bestselling author.
Table of Contents
PrologueCan Science Take Us to God?
Part One: THE SCIENCE OF PROPHECY
1. Foreseeing God in the LaboratoryHow Evidence for Design Shows Up in Prophetic Dreams2. Discovering Intelligent Design in Our LivesA Stunning Conclusion to an Extraordinary Psychic Experiment
Part Two: SIMPLE G.O.D. EXPERIMENTS
3. K.I.S.S.: Keep It Simple ScienceSand Paintings Never Occur by Chance4. G.O.D in the ComputerHow Your Personal Computer Can Teach You About God
Part Three: CAN YOU COMMUNICATE WITH G.O.D.?
5. Talking to an Intelligent Black BoxHow Science Fiction Sometimes Provides a Key to Reality6. I Asked the Universe a QuestionG.O.D. Is Revealed in the Hidden Details7. I Asked the Universe More QuestionsThe Answer Sparkles Like a Diamond8. Interesting and Amusing TheoriesA Physicist Concludes, "It's Absolutely Worth Thinking About."
Part Four: THE GREAT G.O.D. DEBATE
9. Chance Versus Intelligent Design — Which Is It?What Is the Great G.O.D. Debate, and How Can It Be Resolved?10. Can G.O.D. Play Dice with the Universe?Einstein Was Right: The Answer Is "No"Interlude: The "Divine Proportion"Why G.O.D. Is a Mathematician11. Why Science Shaves with Ockham's RazorSimple Predictions That Radically Transform Our Minds
Part Five: IMPLICATIONS OF G.O.D. FOR EVERYTHING
12. Who Are We and Why Are We Here?Your Mind Is Bigger Than the Entire Universe13. Evidence-Based FaithA New Way of Marrying Science and Spirit14. Implications of Intelligent Evolution for SocietyBringing G.O.D. to Science, Education, Medicine, Business, Law, Politics, and Religion15. The Organizing MindNew Discoveries Show How the Mind Organizes Matter16. Wisdom in the StarsIs the Universe Not Only Intelligent But Wise?17. The Genius Within EveryoneWhy Universal Organizing Consciousness Exists in Everything18. Summing up the G.O.D. Experiments — The Emerging Case for Intelligent EvolutionSeeing the Big Picture, and Never Forgetting ItEpilogueInfinite Love: The Ultimate Gift from G.O.D.?
What Our Readers Are Saying