- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Lester Leaps in: The Life and Times of Lester "Pres" Youngby Douglas H Daniels
Synopses & Reviews
The Life and Times of Lester "Pres" Young
The acclaimed biography of the legendary tenor saxophonist
"Lester Leaps In jumps off the page with authenticity and insight. The Prez was an amazing creator with a uniquely wicked sense of humor, and this book captures it all."
"Twenty years in the making, this is the most thorough and penetrating book on the President of the Tenor Saxophone to date."
"A provocative book, presenting Lester Young in a novel, even controversial light while opening new avenues of possible investigation into one of the most tantalizingly enigmatic of all historic jazz figures."
—Richard Sudhalter, Los Angeles Times
"The lessons learned from Pres' painful life tell us a lot about ourselves and the horrible consequences of racism in America."
—T. Michael Crowell, San Diego Union-Tribune
Book News Annotation:
Daniels (history, U. of California at Santa Barbara) presents the story of the legendary jazz figure, Lester Young. Drawing on interviews with his relatives and fellow musicians, he discusses Young's artistry in light of his roots in Louisiana and the influence of Black music traditions and cultural heritage. He presents a portrait of his musical development from when he was schooled in the fundamentals of music by his bandleader father through the time when he became famous as a tenor soloist. He also describe's Young's hard times and private demons, including the many ways that racism affected his career, his Army court martial, his depression and alcoholism, and other difficulties.
Annotation c. Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
Table of Contents
Part I Many Moons Ago
1. The President of the Tenor Saxophone
2. Shoeshine Boy: Way Down Yonder, 1909–1919
3. The Professor: The Louisiana Heritage
4. Big Top Blues: On the Road, 1919–1926
5. Jump Lester Jump: Winter Homes, 1919–1929
Part II The Spark in My Heart
6. Red Boy Blues: The Territorial Years, 1929–1932
7. Blue Devil Blues: 1932–1933
8. Big Eyes Blues: In the Court of the King, 1933
9. No Eyes Blues: More Than Just Music, 1934–1936
10. Poundcake: The Holy Main, 1936–1940
11. Watts Eyes: Paying Dues, 1941–1943
12. D.B. Blues: Tribulation and Trial, 1943–1945
Part III Up Here by Myself
13. Sax-O-Be-Bop: Life at the Top
14. Lester Blows Again: Critics" and Sidemen"s Views
15. Movin" with Lester: "Always Reaching . . . "
16. Up "n" Adam: The Cult of the Cool
Part IV The Legacy
17. Good-bye Pork Pie Hat
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like