- Used Books
- Kobo eReading
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Ships in 1 to 3 days
Other titles in the Diagnosis & Treatment of Mental Disorders series:
Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder (Diagnosis & Treatment of Mental Disorders)by Marsha M Linehan
Synopses & Reviews
Providing proven effective strategies, this book is a comprehensive, integrated approach to therapy with borderline personality disorder. It presents guidelines that combine the best elements of behavioral, psychoanalytic, strategic, and other modalities. The book provides specific strategies for contingency management, exposure, cognitive modification, and skills training. The last component is further elucidated in the companion Skills Training Manual (described at right).
This volume is the authoritative presentation of Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), Linehan's comprehensive, integrated approach to treating individuals with borderline personality disorder. DBT--which has since been adapted for other difficult-to-treat disorders involving emotion dysregulation--combines cognitive and behavioral strategies with elements of psychodynamic, strategic, and other modalities. Delineated are specific strategies for contingency management, exposure, cognitive modification, and skills training.
See also Linehan's Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder, which provides essential materials for implementing DBT skills training. Also available: instructive skills training videos for clients--Crisis Survival Skills, Part One, Crisis Survival Skills, Part Two, From Suffering to Freedom, This One Moment, and Opposite Action.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 527-546) and index.
About the Author
Marsha M. Linehan, PhD, is a professor of psychology and an adjunct professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at the University of Washington. She is also Principal Investigator and Director of the Suicidal Behaviors Research Clinic, a federally financed research program for evaluating treatments of suicidal behaviors. She has an on-going clinical practice and is active in clinical consultation, supervision, and training of mental health professionals in the United States and Europe.
Table of Contents
I. THEORY AND CONCEPTS.
1. Borderline Personality Disorder: Concepts, Controversies, and Definitions.
2. Dialectical and Biosocial Underpinnings of Treatment.
3. Behavioral Patterns: Dialectical Dilemmas in the Treatment of Borderline Patients.
II. TREATMENT OVERVIEW AND GOALS.
4. Overview of Treatment: Targets, Strategies, and Assumptions in a Nutshell.
5. Behavioral Targets in Treatment: Behaviors to Increase and Decrease.
6. Structuring Treatment Around Target Behaviors: Who Treats What and When.
III. BASIC TREATMENT STRATEGIES.
7. Dialectical Treatment Strategies.
8. Core Strategies: Part I. Validation.
9. Core Strategies: Part II. Problem Solving.
10. Change Procedures: Part I. Contingency Procedures (Managing Contingencies and Observing Limits.
11. Change Procedures: Part II. Skill Training, Exposure, Cognitive Modification.
12. Stylistic Strategies: Balancing Communication.
13. Case Management Strategies: Interacting with the Community.
IV. STRATEGIES FOR SPECIFIC TASKS.
14. Structural Strategies.
15. Special Treatment Strategies.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
Health and Self-Help » Health and Medicine » General