- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Ships in 1 to 3 days
More copies of this ISBN
Charmed Braceletsby Tracey Zabar
Synopses & Reviews
- Charm bracelets have had a rebirth-They are part of today's fashion vocabulary. Tracey Zabar's stylish charm bracelets helped kick off the craze.
- Charmed Bracelets is one of the first books to capture the allure of the charm bracelet.
- In spring 2004 Tracey Zabar will be launching a collection of thematic-charmed bracelets for Kate Spade, which will be available in Kate Spade stores.
- Tracey's charm bracelets are sold at Barneys, Bergdorfs, Takashimaya, Patrica Field, Browns London, and other stylish stores.
- Tracey Zabar's charm designs have been featured on Carrie Bradshaw (Sarah Jessica Parker) in "Sex in the City," and celebrities on "the View," "Law and Order," and the upcoming Jane Campion/Meg Ryan movie, "In the Cut."
"Stunning photographs of intricately assembled charm bracelets back up jewelry designer Zabar's contention that charm bracelets function as 'history on a wrist.' Whether they be sentimental, autobiographical, historically significant, cheap or very expensive, each bracelet reveals what is (or was) close to the heart of its wearer. Some hold silver silhouettes of boys and girls, others gem-studded Cartier figurines or even kitschy miniatures of popular candies or brightly colored dice. Zabar, whose own charmed designs are sold at Barneys New York and Kate Spade, traces the rise and fall of the bracelets' popularity-beginning with ancient people's belief in the power of amulets to repel evil and bring about fertility-and celebrates the recent resurgence of the unique accessory, which fell out of fashion during the women's movement in the 1970s. Zabar showcases many celebrities' charm bracelets-including the bracelet Desi Arnaz gave Lucille Ball, which was adorned with six records engraved with the titles of his hit songs-and provides ideas for building a bracelet for a specific person, such as an animal lover, bride or career girl. Crucial advice for the proper assembly and care of charm bracelets is offered, as well as clever suggestions for uses of charms 'beyond the bracelet,' like slipping them on the ribbon of a birthday gift or wrapping them in parchment and baking them into a cake (warning those who eat it, of course, that there is a treasure inside). It is unlikely charm bracelets will ever fall out of style forever, because, as Zabar remarks, 'Charm bracelets express who a woman is in a subtle way, simultaneously giving a whimsical little nod to her style while also serving as a record of remembrance of her life.'" Publishers Weekly (Copyright Reed Business Information, Inc.)
Zabar's stylish charm bracelets helped kick off a craze. As she prepares to launch a collection of thematic bracelets for Kate Spade, "Charmed Bracelets" captures their allure.
About the Author
With her popular, vintage-influenced charm bracelets, jewelry designer TRACEY ZABAR has put a fresh new spin on a coveted family heirloom. An artist with degrees in photography and textiles, Zabar lives with her husband and four sons. This is her first book.
LISA BIRNBACH is the editor of the classic Official Preppy Handbook and the author of numerous books about American popular culture.
ELLEN SILVERMAN's photographs have appeared in Simple Stunning Weddings and New Soul Cooking (both STC).
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
Children's » Activities » General