- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Ships in 1 to 3 days
Pure Vanilla: Irresistible Recipes and Essential Techniquesby Shauna Sever
Synopses & Reviews
Even with a history as rich as its naturally dreamy, creamy flavor, vanilla is overlooked, misunderstood, and generally taken for granted! Hundreds of cookbooks wax poetic about sexy, super-popular chocolate, while vanilla sits by the sidelines. It's high time we give this not-so-plain flavor its due!
With dozens of recipes and a heavenly array of textures and complimentary pairings, Pure Vanilla celebrates this heavenly, ambrosial spice--harvested by hand from tree-climbing orchids, no less!--and all the amazing complex flavors it has to offer.
Opening with a complete history of vanilla from orchid to extract, this cookbook goes on to provide origins, varieties, and tasting notes for all the vanillas available today. Also featured are recipes for irresistibly delicious treats! Chapters include:
• Breakfasts: Honey-Vanilla Granola Clusters, Glazed Vanilla Bean Doughnuts, and heavenly Candied Vanilla Brown Sugar & Black Pepper Bacon
• Cakes and Pies: Ultimate Vanilla Cupcakes, Vanilla Cloud Cake, and Vanilla Cream Pie
• Cookies and Bars: Vanilla Snaps, Big Soft Vanilla Sugar Cookies, and Tuxedo-Creme Cookie Sandwiches
• Candies and Confections: Vanilla Sea Salt Caramels, Candied Vanilla Popcorn, Frosted Vanilla Almonds, Vanilla Nougat Candy Bar Bites, and Golden-Pear Vanilla Jam
• Custards and Creams: Vanilla Panna Cotta, Classic Vanilla Ice Cream, White Hot Fudge, and Nutty Vanilla Spread (aka Vanilla Nutella!)
• Drinks: Malted White Hot Chocolate, Vanilla Egg Creams, Vanilla Mojitos, Vanilla Martinis, and more!
Plus fun DIY Projects (featured as sidebars throughout, paired with the recipes that utilize them): Homemade Vanilla Extract (it's easier than you think!), Vanilla Sugar, Vanilla Beurre Blanc, Vanilla Simple Syrup, Sweet Vanilla Bean Butter, Vanilla-Bourbon Maple Syrup, and Vanilla-Infused Liqueurs. Yum!
About the Author
Shauna Sever is the author of Marshmallow Madness! (Quirk, 2011). She writes the popular dessert blog Piece of Cake and is a host and reporter for food-related television, including “The Best of the Bay” for KRON4 in San Francisco. Her work has been published in Huffington Post Food, Working Mother, Food52, and more. She also runs Bake Sale Bakery, a dessert catering business in San Francisco, where she lives with her husband and daughter.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
Cooking and Food » By Ingredient » Herbs and Spices