- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Lonely Planet Ethiopia & Eritrea (Lonely Planet Ethiopia & Eritrea)by Matt Phillips
Synopses & Reviews
Awe-inspiring, beautiful and sometimes heartbreaking, Ethiopia and Eritrea are not like anywhere you've been before. A realm of rock-hewn churches, buzzing bazaars and untouched wilderness, the Horn of Africa is truly unique. See the mist rising off the mountains, hear the gurgle of children's laughter in the narrow streets of Harar, or catch a glimpse of a wolf prowling under the thorn trees.
The Best Coverage - the only guidebook to comprehensively cover Ethiopia and Eritrea and explain how to cross between them via Djibouti.
Read Up - all the details you need to travel the Historical Circuit, including ancient cities in northern Ethiopia.
Bring Out The Adventurer - climb a rope, use toeholds or walk a ledge to reach churches and hill-top monasteries.
Eat And Drink - know your injera from your kitfo, and why the third cup of coffee is the most important.
Travel Safely- we keep you worded up on the scams, health issues and no-go areas.
Explore Ethiopia and Eritrea with the people who know it best: Lonely Planet. Discover ancient churches and cities frozen in time, trek the dramatic landscape of the Simien and Bale Mountains, and go diving in the thriving reefs of the Dahlak Islands. Explore Asmara's astounding Italian Art Deco architecture and finish the day with the perfect macchiato.
Lonely Planet guides are written by experts who get to the heart of every destination they visit. This fully updated edition is packed with accurate, practical and honest advice, designed to give you the information you need to make the most of your trip.
In This Guide:
Tailored trips to get you up close with history and nature
Take a hike or dance the day away with our festivals and activities chapter
Green Index to make your travels ecofriendly
The only complete guide to Ethiopia and Eritrea available includes an access chapter on crossing between the two countries via Djibouti. The edition features the popular Historic Route plus walking tours to Gondar, Lalibela, Harar, and Massawa.
Who We Are
At Lonely Planet, we see our job as inspiring and enabling travelers to connect with the world for their own benefit and for the benefit of the world at large.
What We Do
• We offer travelers the world’s richest travel advice, informed by the collective wisdom of over 350 Lonely Planet authors living in 37 countries and fluent in 70 languages.
• We are relentless in finding the special, the unique and the different for travellers wherever they are.
• When we update our guidebooks, we check every listing, in person, every time.
• We always offer the trusted filter for those who are curious, open minded and independent.
• We challenge our growing community of travelers; leading debate and discussion about travel and the world.
• We tell it like it is without fear or favor in service of the travelers; not clouded by any other motive.
What We Believe
We believe that travel leads to a deeper cultural understanding and compassion and therefore a better world.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like