- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
This item may be
Check for Availability
Other titles in the Lonely Planet South America on a Shoestring series:
South America on a Shoestring (Lonely Planet South America on a Shoestring)by Danny Palmerlee
Synopses & Reviews
Challenging? Check. Rewarding? Beyond your wildest dreams. South America is made for travel-the gripping, spine-tingling, adrenaline-charged type of travel you live for. Tred the Cordillera Blanca, glide along the Amazon, explore lost cities and samba up a storm. For backpackers, by backpackers, this best-selling, unbeatable guide gives you the tools you need to create your own adventure.
Get Off The Trail-emerging hot-spots, overlooked attractions, alternatives to the Inca Trail-our authors go beyond the obvious, and show you how to do the same.
Live On The Edge-the best spots for hiking, skiing, diving, surfing, rafting, paragliding, and other thrills.
Straight Talk-opinionated reviews ensure you won't waste a precious peso.
Tread Lightly-make a positive impact with sustainable-travel tips and volunteering opportunities.
The market-leading guide to South America now in its tenth edition. More off-the-beaten track destinations and DIY features to help readers get off the "gringo trail." Essential language section including Spanish, Portuguese, Quechua, Aymara, and Sranan Tongo. Expanded focus throughout, from surfing in Brazil to trekking in Patagonia.
For 30 years, Lonely Planet has been the backpackers' bible for South America. Whether you're trekking the Andes, gliding through the Amazon or joining a wild festival, our unbeatable 11th edition is your key to adventure.
Lonely Planet guides are written by experts who get to the heart of every destination they visit. This fully updated edition is packed with accurate, practical and honest advice, designed to give you the information you need to make the most of your trip.
In This Guide:
Full color highlights chapter with top picks from other travelers
Detailed itineraries help you decide where to begin
More maps than any other South America guidebook - over 200!
Who We Are
At Lonely Planet, we see our job as inspiring and enabling travelers to connect with the world for their own benefit and for the benefit of the world at large.
What We Do
• We offer travelers the world’s richest travel advice, informed by the collective wisdom of over 350 Lonely Planet authors living in 37 countries and fluent in 70 languages.
• We are relentless in finding the special, the unique and the different for travellers wherever they are.
• When we update our guidebooks, we check every listing, in person, every time.
• We always offer the trusted filter for those who are curious, open minded and independent.
• We challenge our growing community of travelers; leading debate and discussion about travel and the world.
• We tell it like it is without fear or favor in service of the travelers; not clouded by any other motive.
What We Believe
We believe that travel leads to a deeper cultural understanding and compassion and therefore a better world.
What Our Readers Are Saying