- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
This item may be
Check for Availability
Central America on a Shoestring (Lonely Planet Central America on a Shoestring)
Synopses & Reviews
Dig into history along the Ruta Maya, zip through the rain forest canopy or spend the day searching out that perfect hammock spot by the beach. Adventures are born every day in Central America. And this comprehensive guide - with expanded Yucatan and Chiapas coverage - gives you the tools to avoid spending an arm and a leg on the journey of a lifetime.
Explore More - expanded do-it-yourself features help you create your own adventure beyond the 'Gringo Trail.'
Get Lost - detailed language and cultural coverage and more than 120 maps means you'll never get lost...unless you want to.
Immerse Yourself - volunteer as a game warden, study Spanish, or simply learn how to extend your stay.
Culture Club - candid local interviews reveal the true nature and spirit of the isthmus' No. 1 natural resource - its people.
Highlights & Planning Sections
Responsible Travel Tips
Lonely Planet knows Central America. Whether you want to explore ancient Maya ruins, zip through rainforest canopies or search out the best surf breaks, this 7th edition is your key to adventure.
Lonely Planet guides are written by experts who get to the heart of every destination they visit. This fully updated edition is packed with accurate, practical and honest advice, designed to give you the information you need to make the most of your trip.
In This Guide:
Full color highlights chapter with top picks from other travelers
Detailed itineraries to get you started on your trip to Central America
Unique Green Index makes ecofriendly travel that much easier
Scale Mayan pyramids, worship the sun on palm-fringed shores, and chill out in the shade of a smoldering volcano--Central America is packed with possibilities. Written by experts who travel on a budget, this guide lets visitors go further, stay longer, and pay less for the adventure of a lifetime.
Who We Are
At Lonely Planet, we see our job as inspiring and enabling travelers to connect with the world for their own benefit and for the benefit of the world at large.
What We Do
• We offer travelers the world’s richest travel advice, informed by the collective wisdom of over 350 Lonely Planet authors living in 37 countries and fluent in 70 languages.
• We are relentless in finding the special, the unique and the different for travellers wherever they are.
• When we update our guidebooks, we check every listing, in person, every time.
• We always offer the trusted filter for those who are curious, open minded and independent.
• We challenge our growing community of travelers; leading debate and discussion about travel and the world.
• We tell it like it is without fear or favor in service of the travelers; not clouded by any other motive.
What We Believe
We believe that travel leads to a deeper cultural understanding and compassion and therefore a better world.
What Our Readers Are Saying