- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
Ships in 1 to 3 days
More copies of this ISBN
This title in other editions
In Pursuit of Peace: 21 Ways to Conquer Anxiety, Fear, and Discontentmentby Joyce Meyer
Synopses & Reviews
- In today's world, peace is hard to come by. When personal desires are followed, serenity is forfeited. But by submitting one's will to God, a peace-filled life is ensured. Maintaining peace is therefore a choice, says Joyce Meyer. In her new book, In Pursuit Of Peace, she discusses:
- How to be at peace with yourself
- The importance of having peace with God
- Enjoying peaceful relationships
- Being led by peace
- Developing a peaceful attitude
- and the paradox that peace equals power. Joyce says, "I've discovered over the years that peace is one of the greatest gifts God has given to us. We must pursue peace with all of our might." In Pursuit of Peace is a guidebook for success in this task.
- Coinciding with the book's release, the author will begin teaching this message on her television and radio program, Enjoying Everyday Life, which broadcasts on the ABC Family Channel, PAX Television, Court TV, Trinity Broadcast Network, WGN, Daystar Satellite, Inspirational Network, and The Word Network. She also writes a monthly column that covers the subject of her most recent book for Charisma magazine, which has a circulation of 220,000.
- Joyce Meyer is a world-renowned speaker and the bestselling author of over 50 inspirational books. Her most recent Warner Faith hardcover, Seven Things That Steal Your Joy, was published in 4/04.
- Knowing God Intimately (4/03), Meyer's first Warner Faith hardcover, was a Publishers Weekly Religion bestseller, and her recent hardcovers How to Hear from God (Warner Faith, 9/03) and Starting Your Day Right (Warner Faith, 11/03) have over 250,000 copies in print combined.
- Warner Faith has sold over one million copies ofJoyce Meyer's books.
- The author received the ECPA Gold Book Award for Battlefield of the Mind (Warner Faith, 2002), which is given to books that sell over 500,000 copies.
"Meyer, author of more than 50 books and host of widely distributed television and radio programs, revisits themes from previous books as she expounds on what it means to live at peace. The book is broken up into three sections, walking readers through being at peace with God, with themselves and with others. Meyer states that she now 'enjoy[s] a life of peace that often passes understanding' — a remarkable feat for one who grew up in an abusive home and struggled through a difficult first marriage. However, exactly how Meyer arrived at this emotional highland remains a mystery; her journey is not recounted here, with the exception of small, often insignificant incidents (frustration over losing a parking place, dealing with children who spill things, arguing with her husband). While there are many helpful principles (trust God, don't overschedule, learn to overlook small offenses), Meyer's writing is shallow and her approach to scripture simplistic. Her 'health and wealth' biblical approach becomes apparent in the chapter on avoiding financial pressure, where she states, 'God wants us to prosper, but not out of proportion to our spiritual growth.... God will release more and more to us as we grow spiritually.' (Sept.) Forecast: Warner Faith has sold more than 1.4 million copies of Meyer's titles in just the last year." Publishers Weekly (Copyright 2004 Reed Business Information, Inc.)
"In her introduction to this candid and passionate, if at times preachy, offering, prolific author Meyer (How to Hear from God; Seven Things that Steal Your Joy) admits that the first 40 years of her life were miserable. 'I lived without the blessing and benefit of peace,' she writes, asserting that without peace, 'we live in turmoil-always worried, anxious, and upset about something.' Drawing on the lessons she learned through personal experience and from the Bible, Meyer supplies readers with 21 'peacekeeper' tips-some more practical than others-such as 'Trust the Lord of Peace,' 'Stay Supernaturally Relaxed,' 'Avoid Financial Pressure' and 'Beware of Idle Talk.' Above all else, however, she emphasizes that peace can be found by staying in good standing with God, accepting oneself and making peace with others. In her usual can-do style, Meyer challenges her fellow Christians to be courageous, confident and discerning, and she invokes Bible passages to drive home her message. She's also brutally honest about her own weaknesses, which lends further credence to her teachings. While Meyer doesn't offer much advice that hasn't been covered by countless other self-help books, her tale of personal growth should inspire her countless fans." Publishers Weekly (Copyright Reed Business Information, Inc.)
The #1 bestselling author explores the myriad ways readers can experience a life overflowing with tranquility.
About the Author
Joyce Meyer has been teaching the Word of God since 1976 and in full-time ministry since 1980. She is the bestselling author of over 50 inspirational books, including Secrets to Exceptional Living, The Joy of Believing Prayer, and Battlefield of the Mind, as well as thousands of cassettes and a complete video library. Joyce's Life In The Word radio and television programs are broadcast around the world, and she travels extensively conducting "Life In The Word" conferences. Joyce and her husband Dave are the parents of four grown children and make their home in St. Louis, Missouri.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
Religion » Christianity » Christian Living
Religion » Christianity » Inspirational
Religion » Western Religions » Inspirational