- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
Spainby John A Crow
Synopses & Reviews
This is the late John A. Crow's classic study of the cultural history of Spain and its people, which he last updated in 1985 but which seems as fresh and pertinent as when he first wrote it. Crow devoted a lifetime to Hispanic studies and here provides a historical interpretation of Spanish civilization from its earliest beginnings to the present. The scope of this study is remarkable and includes chapters on Roman Spain, the Jews in Spain, the Moors, life in medieval towns, and the Golden Age of Spain, plus a view of Franco's legacy.
An interpretative history of Spain's culture, politics, traditions, and people from prehistoric times to the present, with particular concern for twentieth-century life, thought, and more.
John A. Crow updates and expands his classic study of the cultural history of Spain and its people. The scope of this richly textured book is remarkable and includes chapters on Roman Spain, the Jews in Spain, the Moors, life in medieval towns, the Golden Age of Spain, and other epochs in Spanish history. In addition, Crow extensively updates later chapters to reflect changing events in the last ten years in Spain, and he expands his chapter on "Franco's Legacy."
Bibliography: p. 435-439.
About the Author
John A. Crow was Professor Emeritus of Spanish at the University of California, Los Angeles. He was also author of The Epic of Latin America (fourth edition, California, 1992).
Table of Contents
1. THE LAND: THE PEOPLE
2. THE DARK BEGINNING
3. THE CROSS, THE CRESCENT, AND THE STAR
4. THE CHRISTIAN KINGDOMS: CROSS AND SWORD
5. LIFE IN THE MEDIEVAL TOWNS
6. THE SPANISH RENAISSANCE
7. THE GOLDEN AGE: POLITICS AND THE SOCIAL ORDER
8. BELLES-LETTRES IN THE GOLDEN AGE
9. THE FINE ARTS—END OF THE GOLDEN AGE
10. THE BOURBONS
11. MAIN CURRENTS OF SPANISH THOUGHT (1870-1931)
12. THE POLITICAL AND SOCIAL BACKGROUNDS OF THE SECOND REPUBLIC
13. THE SPANISH REPUBLIC (1931-1939)
14. COMMUNISM AND FASCISM IN SPAIN
15. VALLEY OF THE FALLEN
16. FRANCO'S LEGACY: ORDER AND PROGRESS
A. The Economic Miracle
The Tourist Industry
Salaries, Prices, Inflation
B. Problem Areas
17. SPAIN TODAY THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM
A Society in Transition
IMPORTANT DATES IN SPANISH HISTORY
GLOSSARY OF SPANISH WORDS
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like