- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
Used Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
Other titles in the For Dummies series:
Troubleshooting Your PC for Dummies (For Dummies)by Dan Gookin
Synopses & Reviews
* Most troubleshooting books concentrate on upgrading-and usually hardware at that. This book concentrates on solving problems-whether they are software, hardware, or operating system problems. The problems are the ones that Dan Gookin hears most often-the most frequently mentioned problems from his readers.
* Provides the background to understanding the differences between hardware and software errors and learning about the computer's startup sequence to help diagnose and fix common startup problems.
* Fix irritable error messages, slow PCs, internet and email problems, shutdown errors, and other common PC problems.
* Covers not only common disk problems, but also concentrates on using disk tools to improve disk performance, and preventative maintenance techniques.
* Techniques to avoid disaster: system restore, backup, disk cleanup, and virus protection.
* Tools and utilities provided by Windows to help troubleshoot your computer.
With this reference guide, users can learn to diagnose and correct their computer problems. Dan Gookin offers quick, straight, and accurate solutions to troubleshooting questions.
The fun and easy way(TM) to diagnose the problem and get your computer back up and running
Solve all types of PC problems - hardware and software
Got a PC headache? Let Dan Gookin show you how to find relief
Funny start-up noises. Lost files. Mouse madness. Slowdowns. Web weirdness. Disk disasters. The dreaded blue screen of death. If you're beset by PC problems like these, you've come to the right place. PC expert extraordinaire Dan Gookin shows you step by step how to prevent PC calamities, deal with dozens of common mishaps and annoyances - and preserve your sanity.
The Dummies Way
* Explanations in plain English
* "Get in, get out" information
* Icons and other navigational aids
* Tear-out cheat sheet
* Top ten lists
* A dash of humor and fun
'Organized so you can find your problem and fix it — fast!
Rescue lost files, fix Internet glitches, smooth out shutdown, and even get help online
Oh, no, the computer\'s doing THAT again! What you need now is Dan Gookin\'s expert, easy-to-understand tech support! He\'ll help you locate the source of the trouble, tell you what to try (and how), give you tips on keeping it from happening again, and even tell you when it\'s time to call in the big guns.
Discover how to:
About the Author
'Dan Gookin, the original For Dummies author, has more than 11 million copies of his many books in print. He also shares his technological know-how through online forums and newsletters. '
Table of Contents
Part I: What the @#$%&*!?
Chapter 1: It's Not Your Fault! Well, It Might Be Your Fault (How to Tell Whether It's Your Fault).
Chapter 2: Stuff to Try First.
Chapter 3: Telling a Hardware Problem from a Software Problem.
Chapter 4: The "R" Chapter (Reinstall, Restore, Recycle, Recovery).
Chapter 5: Your Last Resort: Tech Support.
Part II: Troubleshooting Minor Irks and Quirks.
Chapter 6: "This Just Bugs Me!".
Chapter 7: "Gosh! This Is Embarrassing!".
Chapter 8: Start-Up Problems.
Chapter 9: Finding Lost Files and Things.
Chapter 10: Sounds Like Trouble.
Chapter 11: The Mystery of System Resources (And Memory Leaks).
Chapter 12: The Slow PC.
Chapter 13: Keyboard, Mouse, and Monitor Dilemmas.
Chapter 14: Printer Problems.
Chapter 15: Dealing with Disk Disaster.
Chapter 16: Internet Connection Mayhem.
Chapter 17: Web Weirdness with Internet Explorer.
Chapter 18: E-Mail Calamities with Outlook Express.
Chapter 19: General Windows Disruption(Or, "Is This PC Possessed?").
Chapter 20: Shutdown Constipation.
Part III: Preventive Maintenance.
Chapter 21: Maintaining Your Disk Drives.
Chapter 22: The Benefits of Backup.
Part IV: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 23: The Ten Rules of Tech Support.
Chapter 24 : Ten Dumb Error Messages.
Chapter 25: Ten Things You Should Never or Always Do.
Appendix A: Useful Tools.
Appendix B: Working in Safe Mode.
Appendix C: Creating and Using an Emergency Boot Disk.
Appendix D: Some Q & A.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like