- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Used Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
The literary almanac :the best of the printed word, 1900 to the present.by Andrews Mcmeel
Synopses & Reviews
The Literary Almanac is more than a book about books. It's the book to end all books when it comes to finding out about the ins and outs of books, authors, and publishing.
Handy and easy-to-read, this volume is filled with absorbing facts and engaging information about twentieth century North American writing. For the first time, thousands of pieces of information about these writers and their works are collected in one easily accessible book.
Readers can find an exhaustive amount of literary information in this reader-friendly guide, including:
- The history, criteria, winners, and purses of the major literary prizes — Pulitzer, Nobel, National Book Awards, the Newbery Medal, the Caldecott Medal, and the Booker Prize.
- The paperback and hardcover bestsellers, both fiction and nonfiction, from the last century.
- The 100 top writers of the twentieth century, and a complete list of their books.
- An in-depth list of the favorite books of top writers, critics, and editors.
- Books that have been banned and where they have been outlawed.
- All-time bestsellers by category — novels, biographies, sports, gardening, poetry, art, business, religion, and travel.
- An extensive map of the birthplaces of America's favorite U.S. authors.
- And much more.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like