- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
More copies of this ISBN
This title in other editions
Dog Talkby John Ross
Synopses & Reviews
The only dog-training book that really gets through to the canine brain beneath all that fur.
Incorporating the revolutionary teaching of John Ross's prominent dog-training school, this is the first and only dog-training book that truly takes owners inside the canine mind. Central to Ross's technique is the notion that a dog responds to its owner as the pack leader, and that this leader must take the dominant role in the relationship between human and dog. By encouraging owners to act in a canine manner, Ross emphasizes sure-fire techniques to help dogs through the behaviors they need to learn. Among the hundreds of useful training tips included in Dog Talk are:
* Always use your dog's name prior to the command: "Bentley, heel!"
* When training a puppy, try moving a desired object like a dog biscuit over and behind your dog's head to induce him to "sit."
* Do not use your dog's name-- which he associates with being called toward you-- when commanding him to "stay."
* Don't yell "Come!" in a threatening manner while chasing after a disobedient puppy or you may well have just trained him to run away on command.
* Giving a "No" command while your dog is thinking about a bad behavior is even more effective than giving it during the behavior.
Incorporating the revolutionary teachings of John Ross's prominent dog-training school, this is the first and only dog-training book that truly takes readers inside the canine mind, enabling them to communicate effectively with their pets. Dog Talk has become a standard since its publication in 1992. Illustrations.
About the Author
John Ross is a noted dog trainer. He and Barbara McKinney are regular contributors to Dog World magazine. They live in Nantucket, Massachusetts.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like