- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Used Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
More copies of this ISBN
A World of Curiosities: Surprising, Interesting, and Downright Unbelievable Facts from Every Nation on the Planetby John Oldale
Synopses & Reviews
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe: everything you never knew you never knew about every country on Earth.A scientist by training and an explorer by passion, Dr. John Oldale has logged half a million miles visiting more than ninety nations. Now, he celebrates our weird and wonderful world in a cornucopia of fascinating facts brought vividly to life through the unexpected stories behind them. Touching on history, travel, politics, natural history and more, he paints a unique portrait of each country from the mightiest to the most miniscule. You won't find the following in your average travel guide:
· Why is kissing on trains banned in France?
· In what country are litigants expected to present their case at court in the form of a poem?
· Which war did women win in 1929 just by sitting down?
· If Panama hats aren’t from Panama, where are they from?
· Who eat fresh camel dung as a cure for dysentery (and why does it work)?
· Why were US disk jockeys once told they could play birthday requests on any day except the one requested?
· Which modern dictator banned old age, libraries and gold teeth, and was later replaced by his dentist?
· And 2,000 more funny, trivial, poignant, and telling facts
A must for active and armchair globe-trotters alike, A World of Curiosities will engross anyone who is at all curious about the world beyond their door. Explore and enjoy.
About the Author
John Oldale speaks five languages, has outrun knife-wielding brigands (twice), and has been rescued from a sub-Antarctic beach. He lives with his family in a former village pub in Hampshire, England.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like