- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Used Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
Philosophical Writings of Peirceby Charles Peirce
Synopses & Reviews
Arranged and integrated to reveal epistemology, phenomenology, theory of signs, other major topics. Includes "The Fixation of Beliefs," "How to Make Our Ideas Clear," "The Scientific Attitude and Fallibilism," "Philosophy and the Sciences: A Classification," " The Principles of Phenomenology," " Logic as Semiotic: The Theory of Signs," and "The Criterion of Validity in Reasoning."
Arranged and integrated to reveal epistemology, phenomenology, theory of signs, other major topics.
Table of Contents
1. CONCERNING THE AUTHOR
2. THE FIXATION OF BELIEF
3. HOW TO MAKE OUR IDEAS CLEAR
4. THE SCIENTIFIC ATTITUDE AND FALLIBILISM
5. PHILOSOPHY AND THE SCIENCES: A CLASSIFICATION
6. THE PRINCIPLES OF PHENOMENOLOGY
7. LOGIC AS SEMIOTIC: THE THEORY OF SIGNS
8. THE CRITERION OF VALIDITY IN REASONING
9. WHAT IS A LEADING PRINCIPLE?
10. THE NATURE OF MATHEMATICS
11. ABDUCTION AND INDUCTION
12. "ON THE DOCTRINE OF CHANCES, WITH LATER REFLECTIONS"
13. THE PROBABILITY OF INDUCTION
14. THE GENERAL THEORY OF PROBABLE INFERENCE
16. SOME CONSEQUENCES OF FOUR INCAPACITIES
17. THE ESSENTIALS OF PRAGMATISM
18. PRAGMATISM IN RETROSPECT: A LAST FORMULATION
19. CRITICAL COMMON-SENSISM
20. PERCEPTUAL JUDGMENTS
21. "TWO NOTES: ON MOTIVES, ON PERCEPTS"
22. THE APPROACH TO METAPHYSICS
23. THE ARCHITECTURE OF THEORIES
24. THE DOCTRINE OF NECESSITY EXAMINED
25. THE LAW OF MIND
26. "SYNECHISM, FALLIBILISM, AND EVOLUTION"
27. EVOLUTIONARY LOVE
28. THE CONCEPT OF GOD
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like