- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
Used Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
More copies of this ISBN
Lies Young Women Believe: And the Truth That Sets Them Freeby Nancy Liegh Demoss
Synopses & Reviews
You have been lied to! Have you been deceived?
Through a nationwide survey and in-depth discussion groups, Nancy and Dannah have listened carefully to the heart of your generation. And here are some things they've heard:
-"I know God should be the only thing that satisfies, but if it could be Him and my friends, then I could be happy."
-"It seems like I have been struggling with depression forever. I always feel like I am not good enough."
- "I tell myself that I don't really listen to the song lyrics, but once I hear a song a few times and start thinking about what they're saying I realize
that it's too late. It's already stuck in my head."
-"For me, the whole wife and mom thing is overrated. It isn't cool to want a husband and a family."
Maybe you can identify. Trying to listen to the right voices can be difficult. This book has been written by friends who will help you find the Truth. Maybe your heart is telling you that some things in your life are way off course. Certain habits and relationships have left you confused and lonely. This is not the way it's supposed to be.
In this book, Nancy and Dannah expose 25 of the lies most commonly believed by your generation. They share real-life accounts from some of the young women they interviewed, along with honest stories about how they've overcome lies they believed themselves. They get down in the trenches of the battle with you. Best of all, they'll show you how to be set free by the Truth.
DeMoss teams up with established youth author Gresh to give girls aged 13-19 the tools they need to identify where their lives and beliefs are off course, while offering practical, faith-based approaches to overcome these hurdles.
Very few born again teens believe in moral absolutes. DeMoss and Gresh help girls identify where their lives and beliefs are off course and then provide the truths of Scripture that overcome those lies.
About the Author
DANNAH GRESH is a bestselling author and co-founder of Pure Freedom. She has sold over 750,000 copies of her books, including And the Bride Wore White , What Are You Waiting For: The One Thing No One Ever Tells You About Sex, and Lies Young Women Believe (co-authored with Nancy Leigh DeMoss), in addition to the Secret Keeper series and Pursuing the Pearl. She is also a frequent guest for national radio, TV and print mediums. Dannah lives in State College, Pennsylvania, with her husband, Bob, and their three children.
Table of Contents
ACKNOWLEDGMENTS- Thanks! / 8
INTRODUCTION- Blazing Lies / 11
PART 1: THE LANDSCAPE OF LIES
CHAPTER 1- The Deceiver
Where do lies come from? / 19
CHAPTER 2- The Deceived
Where do lies get the power to destroy our lives? / 27
CHAPTER 3- The Truth
How can I pursue Truth? / 35
PART 2: LIES YOUNG WOMEN BELIEVE
CHAPTER 4- Lies About God / 43
(1) "God is not enough." / 44
(2) "God is not really involved in my life." / 46
(3) "God should just fix my problems." / 48
(4) "God is just like my father." / 51
CHAPTER 5- Lies About Satan / 59
(5) "Everything bad that happens is spiritual warfare." / 61
(6) "I've never been exposed to satanic activities." / 63
CHAPTER 6- Lies About Myself / 71
(7) "Beautiful girls are worth more." / 72
(8) "I have to perform to be loved and accepted." / 77
CHAPTER 7- Lies About Guys / 85
(9) "I need a boyfriend." / 85
(10) "It's OK to go out with a non-Christian." / 88
(11) "It's not really sex." / 91
(12) "I can't handle the loneliness of staying pure." / 94
CHAPTER 8- Lies About Relationships / 103
(13) "It's OK to be one person at home and a different person with others...especially online." / 103
(14) "If I just had friends, I wouldn't be so lonely." / 107
(15) "I'm my own authority." / 110
CHAPTER 9- Lies About My Faith / 119
(16) " My youth pastor is my connection to God." / 120
(17) "Everyone at church is judging me." / 122
(18) "Of course I'm a Christian, I..." / 126
CHAPTER 10- Lies About Sin / 135
(19) "I can't overcome my sin." / 135
(20) " In certain situations it's OK to break the law or rules if I'm not hurting myself or others." / 139
(21) "I can't control myself when I'm PMS-ing." / 141
CHAPTER 11- Lies About Media / 149
(22) "The benefits of constant media use outweigh the harm." / 150
(23) "It's not a waste of time...even if it is, it's OK." / 153
CHAPTER 12- Lies About the Future / 161
(24) "Having a career outside the home is more valuable and fulfilling than being 'just' a wife and mom." / 161
(25) "What I do now doesn't affect the future." / 165
PART 3-OVERCOMING LIES
CHAPTER 13- How to Stop Fueling the Lies
Stop listening to and dwelling on them.................... / 171
CHAPTER 14- How to Find Freedom from the Lies / 179
Replace lies with the Truth. / 179
CHAPTER 15- The Truth That Sets Us Free
Powerful Truths to counter everyday lies. / 187
A FINAL WORD FROM OUR HEARTS TO YOURS / 197
Truths That Set You Free / 203
Spiritual Pull-Out Section
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
Children's » History » Women in History