- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
Perl Database Programmingby Brent Michalski
Synopses & Reviews
Here's your in-depth guide to creating database-driven applications using Perl.
In this authoritative reference, Perl expert Brent Michalski uses plenty of examples to help you master Perl's capabilities in database applications with MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Oracle. Along the way, he explores practical applications for cutting-edge technologies like XML and Web services. If you're a Perl novice, the comprehensive code samples and step-by-step explanations will have you writing database applications quickly and confidently. If you're experienced, this definitive guidebook has everything you need to move ahead with Web programming, problem tracking, automatic e-mail reports, and much more.
You'll learn how to:
* Understand different database models, DBIs, and DBDs
* Set up relational databases, retrieve information, and generate reports
* Tie a Perl hash to a database and track users with cookies
* Generate and deliver automatic e-mail reports
* Use tied hashes to create Web-based shopping carts
* Handle binary data and submit BLOB data
* Create phonebooks, photo albums, and a SOAP-based catalog
The companion Web site features source code from the book and other useful information.
* Discusses practical applications such as online catalogs, Web-based photo databases, and Palm-powered applications.
- Teaches how to create database-driven applications with the Perl programming language
- Ideal tutorial for people who are familiar with Perl basics, but have not yet started writing database applications
- Addresses cutting-edge topics such as XML and Web services, demonstrating how to put these technologies to use in practical applications
- Author currently maintains the Perl area of Dr. Dobb's Journal Web site
About the Author
BRENT MICHALSKI works with Perl on a daily basis in his job as a senior developer for MasterCard International. He is coauthor of Writing CGI Applications with Perl and has written articles for Web Review and the Perl Home Page. Currently, he maintains the Perl area of the Dr. Dobb's Journal Web site.
Table of Contents
Part I: Perl and Database Fundamentals.
Chapter 1: Database Basics.
Chapter 2: Working with a Database.
Chapter 3: Working with Database Tables.
Chapter 4: Fetching Data from the Database (Basics).
Chapter 5: Making Changes to Your Data.
Part II: Advanced Database Programming.
Chapter 6: Web Database Programming.
Chapter 7: Fetching Data from the Database (Advanced).
Chapter 8: Working with Binary (BLOB) Data.
Chapter 9: Session Management with Tied Hashes.
Chapter 10: Using Database Transactions.
Part III: Perl and Web Services.
Chapter 11: Perl, XML, and Databases.
Chapter 12: Creating a SOAP-Based Catalog.
Chapter 13: Sending Automatic E-mail Reports.
Part IV: Perl and General Web Programming.
Chapter 14: Creating a Phonebook.
Chapter 15: Creating a Web-Based Shopping Cart.
Chapter 16: Creating a Web-Based Photo Album.
Appendix A: Configuring Your System.
Appendix B: Common SQL Reference.
Appendix C: MySQL Command Reference.
Appendix D: DBI Reference.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like