- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
Used Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
More copies of this ISBN
AIDS, Sex, and Culture: Global Politics and Survival in Southern Africaby Ida Susser
Synopses & Reviews
AIDS, Sex, and Culture is a revealing examination of the impact the AIDS epidemic in Africa has had on women, based on the author’s own extensive ethnographic research.
About the Author
Ida Susser is Professor of Anthropology at the CUNY Graduate Center and adjunct professor of Socio-Medical Sciences at the HIV Center, Columbia University. Her books include Norman Street: Poverty and Politics in an Urban Neighborhood, Medical Anthropology in the World System (Oxford University Press, 1982), The Castells Reader on the Cities and Social Theory (Blackwell, 2001), and Cultural Diversity in the United States (Blackwell, 2001). She received an award for Distinguished Achievement in the Critical Study of North America from the Society for the Anthropology of North America, has served as President of the American Ethnological Society(2005-7), and is a founding member of Athena: Advancing Gender Equity and Human Rights in the Global Response to HIV/AIDS.
Table of Contents
List of Figures.
Preface – Southern Africa: A Personal Geography, History and Politics.
Introduction Global Inequality, Women, and HIV/AIDS.
1. The Culture of Science and the Feminization of AIDS.
2. Imperial Moralities and Grassroots Realities.
3. The Transition to a New South Africa: Hope, Science, and Democracy.
4. Of Nevirapine and African Potatoes: Shifts in Public Discourse.
5. The Difference in Pain: Infected and Affected: By Sibongile Mkhize.
6. Contested Sexualities.
7. Public Spaces of Women’s Autonomy: Health Activism.
8. “Where Are Our Condoms?” – Namibia.
9. Ju/’hoansi Women in the Age of HIV: An Exceptional Case.
10. Changing Times, Changing Strategies: Women Leaders Among the Ju.
11. “The Power of Practical Thinking” – The Role of Organic Intellectuals.
12. Conclusions: Neoliberalism, Gender, and Resistance.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
Health and Self-Help » Health and Medicine » Medical Specialties