- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
The Book of Dialogueby Lewis Turco
Synopses & Reviews
This is a book about dialogue for writers: how to get characters talking in a way that vividly reveals who they are, what they are doing, and what's coming next in your story.
Originally published in 1989, this revised and expanded edition focuses on the art and craft of writing effective dialogue in fiction, cinema, television, drama, radio, and poetry.
Turco's unique technique teaches by showing: he creates a Socratic dialogue as the form of the book itself. Says the author, Plato wrote lies in order to tell the truth. That's what a fiction writer does and has always done.
The book covers how to:
* Write dialogue that is believable as conversation--carefully selected, paced, and
* Break up dialogue at strategic places with action, replies, scene-setting and
other elements vital to telling your story.
* Balance dialogue and other story elements
* Dramatize conflict through dialogue.
* Use dialogue to lay the groundwork for upcoming events in the story.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like