- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
More copies of this ISBN
This title in other editions
The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide, Second Edition: What You and Your Family Need to Knowby David J. Miklowitz
Synopses & Reviews
A bipolar diagnosis can be overwhelming to sufferers and their family members. They need trustworthy information and support for finding the right treatment and coping with the illness's devastating ups and downs. Over 200,000 readers have already found exactly that in this indispensable guide from a leading expert. Explaining the disorder's causes, diagnosis, and best current treatments, David J. Miklowitz shows how to plan for and reduce recurrences of mood symptoms, make needed lifestyle changes to stay well, and strengthen relationships strained by the illness. Readers love the user-friendly tone, true-to-life stories, checklists, worksheets, and practical problem-solving advice. Updated throughout, the second edition has a new chapter, "For Women Only"; the latest facts on medications and therapy; and an expanded discussion of parenting issues for bipolar adults.
Getting an accurate diagnosis is the first step toward reclaiming your life from bipolar disorder. But if you or someone you love is struggling with the frantic highs and crushing lows of this illness, there are still many hurdles to surmount at home, at work, and in daily life. You need current information and practical problem-solving advice you can count on. You've come to the right place.
* How can you distinguish between early warning signs of bipolar mood swings and normal ups and downs?
* What medications are available, and what are their side effects?
* What should you do when you find yourself escalating into mania or descending into depression?
* How can you tell your coworkers about your illness without endangering your career?
* If you have a family member with bipolar disorder, how can you provide constructive help and support?
Trusted authority Dr. David J. Miklowitz offers straight talk, true stories, and proven strategies that can help you achieve greater balance and free yourself from out-of-control moods. The updated second edition of this bestselling guide has the latest facts on medications and therapy, an expanded discussion of parenting issues for bipolar adults, and a new chapter, "For Women Only."
About the Author
David J. Miklowitz, PhD, is Professor of Psychiatry at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), School of Medicine, and Senior Clinical Researcher at Oxford University, UK. He directs the Integrative Study Center in Mood Disorders and the Child and Adolescent Mood Disorders Program at the UCLA Semel Institute. Dr. Miklowitz's numerous publications include the award-winning book for professionals Bipolar Disorder: A Family-Focused Treatment Approach. He lives with his wife in Los Angeles.
Table of Contents
I. The Experience and Diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder
1. How This Book Can Help You Survive—and Thrive
2. Understanding the Experience of Bipolar Disorder
3. Into the Doctor’s Court: Getting an Accurate Diagnosis
4. “Is It an Illness or Is It Me?”: Coping with the Diagnosis
II. Laying the Foundation for Effective Treatment
5. Where Bipolar Disorder Comes From: Genetics, Biology, and Stress
6. What Medication and Psychotherapy Can Do for You
7. Coming to Terms with Your Medications
III. Practical Strategies for Staying Well
8. Tips to Help You Manage Moods and Improve Your Daily Life
9. Heading Off the Escalation of Mania
10. Halting the Spiral of Depression
11. Overcoming Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings
12. For Women Only: What You Need to Know about Bipolar Disorder and Your Health
13. Succeeding at Home and at Work: Communication, Problem-Solving Skills, and Dealing Effectively with Stigma
Resources for People with Bipolar Disorder
What Our Readers Are Saying
Health and Self-Help » Health and Medicine » General