- Used Books
- Kobo eReading
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Used Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
More copies of this ISBN
Gift Wrapping with Textiles: Stylish Ideas from Japanby Chizuko Morita
Synopses & Reviews
In Japanese culture, it is customary to put as much care into the wrapping of a gift as into choosing the gift itself. The way a gift is wrapped and the material in which it is presented are considered expressions of the giver's feeling toward the recipient. Now, using techniques that have been part of Japanese tradition for generations, Chizuko Morita offers readers innovative and unique ideas for using the Japanese art of wrapping with cloth in very contemporary ways. In a matter of minutes, a swatch of cloth known as a furoshiki can be fashioned into an elegant wrapping for a CD, a book, a bottle of wine, a box of chocolates, even a soccer ball. And unlike paper gift wrap, if you get it wrong the first time, you can just undo the knots and start again.
Not only are the wraps fool-proof, they rely on only three basic knots.
* Stunningly original wrapping ideas
* Gift-wraps for wine, books, CDs, pictures, posters, balls, and boxed items of all sizes
* Based on techniques that have their roots in centuries-old Japanese traditions of wrapping for gift-giving
* Additional ideas to freshen up everyday items such as pillows, baskets, and more
* New thoughts for decorating the breakfast and dinner table
* Add an elegant touch to flowerpots, planters, or a bouquet of flowers
* Make an instant magazine "rack" or knapsack
Offers readers unique ideas for gift wrapping using the Japanese art of wrapping with cloth,
About the Author
CHIZUKO MORITA created her own style of wrapping with textiles that's very contemporary, yet preserves the techniques of the centuries-old Japanese tradition of wrapping for gift-giving. She has taught her techniques to Americans and Europeans in Kyoto, Tokyo, and Boston, and appears regularly on Japan's public television channel, NHK. This is her seventh book on wrapping, and her first in English.
SHUICHI YAMAGATA is a photographer based in Kyoto. He specializes in shooting kimono, jewelry, cooking, Japanese fashion, and other items.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like