- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Principles and Applications of Soil Microbiologyby D. M. Sylvia
Synopses & Reviews
//-->9411G-9, 0-13-094117-4, Sylvia, David M., Fuhrmann, Jeffry J., Hartel, Peter G., Zuberer, David A., Principles and Applications of Soil Microbiology, 2/E//--> Written by leading experts in their respective fields, this comprehensive, balanced introduction to soil microbiology captures the rapid advances in the study of soil microbiology—e.g., habitats and organisms, microbially mediated transformation, and applied environmental topics. Carefully edited for ease of reading, it aids users by providing an excellent multi-authored reference, the type of book that is continually used in the field. Background information is provided in the first part of the book for ease of comprehension; it then describes such fundamental topics as soil environment and microbial processes, microbial groups and their interactions, and thoroughly addresses critical nutrient cycles and important environmental and agricultural applications. An excellent desk reference and useful tool for certified professional soil scientists, environmental scientists, and others that effect environmental policy, such as soil erosion and maintenance specialists.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction and Historical Perspective.
2. The Soil Habitat.
3. Microbial Metabolism.
4. Microbial Genetics.
II. ORGANISMS AND INTERACTIONS.
5. Bacteria and Archaea.
7. Cyanobacteria and Algae in Soils.
8. The Soil Fauna.
10. Microbial Ecology.
11. The Rhizosphere.
12. Mycorrhizal Symbioses.
III. CYCLES IN SOIL.
13. Carbon Transformations and Soil Organic Matter Formation.
14. Transformations of Nitrogen.
15. Biological Dinitrogen Fixation: Introduction and Nonsymbiotic.
16. Biological Dinitrogen Fixation: Symbiotic.
17. Transformation of Sulfur.
18. Phosphorus and Other Elements.
IV. ENVIRONMENTAL AND AGRICULTURAL PERSPECTIVES.
19. Global Gases.
20. Microbiology and Biochemistry of Xenobiotic Compound Degradation.
21. Bioremediation of Contaminated Soils.
22. Biological Control of Soilborne Plant Pathogens and Nematodes.
23. Composting of Organic Wastes .
Glossary of Terms/Index.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Business » Accounting and Finance