- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
New Trade Paper
Currently out of stock.
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
All About Administering Nis+ 2ND Editionby Rick Ramsey
Synopses & Reviews
NIS+ (Network Information Service Plus –) is a new network information service that is part of SunSoft's Open Network Computing Plus (ONC+ –) suite of products which is installed on over 3.1 million nodes worldwide. NIS+ is available on Solaris –2.x whether Intel –-or SPARC –- based, and is portable to other operating systems that support ONC RPC or ONC+ transport- independent RPC (TI-RPC –). This is THE authoritative guide to administering NIS+. Compares NIS+ to DNS and NIS; explains the structure of NIS+ what it has to offer and how it is put together; provides guidelines for making a transition from NIS to NIS+ and for setting up NIS+ from scratch; presents step-by-step instructions for setting up the components of an NIS+ namespace, from the root domain to individual clients; describes the NIS+ commands (syntax and details) in terms of administration categories; and contains Pre-Setup Worksheets, a list of NIS+ Scripts Error Messages, and a discussion of the NIS+ API. For system and network administrators, and for MIS managers (who need to determine whether NIS+ offers what they need).
Book News Annotation:
For network administrators who want to know about NIS+, the network information services of SunSoft's ONC+ product. Discusses its capabilities and requirements, how it works and how to get the most out of it.
Annotation c. Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
NIS+ (Network Information Service Plus) is a new network information service that is part of SunSoft's Open Network Computing Plus (ONC+) suite of products. This is the authoritative guide to administering NIS+. The book explains the structure of NIS+--what it has to offer and how it is put together, and provides guidelines for setting up NIS+.
Table of Contents
PART I. UNDERSTANDING NIS+.
1. Understanding Network Information Services.
2. Understanding the NIS+ Namespace.
3. Understanding NIS+ Tables and Information.
4. Understanding NIS+ Security.
5. Understanding the Name Service Switch.
PART II. PLANNING FOR NIS+.
6. Planning and Transition Guidelines.
7. Building a Prototype NIS+ Namespace.
8. Designing the NIS+ Namespace.
9. Selecting NIS+ Security Measures.
10. Using NIS Compatibility Mode.
11. Satisfying Prerequisites to Transition.
12. Implementing the Transition.
PART III. SETTING UP THE NIS+ SERVICE.
13. Setup Guidelines.
14. Setting Up an NIS+ Namespace Using the NIS+ Scripts.
15. Setting Up the Root Domain.
16. Setting Up NIS+ Tables.
17. Setting Up an NIS+ Client.
18. Setting Up NIS+ Servers.
19. Setting Up a Non-Root Domain.
20. Setting Up the Name Service Switch.
PART IV. ADMINISTERING THE NIS+ SERVICE.
21. Administering NIS+ Groups.
22. Administering NIS+ Credentials.
23. Administering NIS+ Access Rights.
24. Administering NIS+ Directories.
25. Administering NIS+ Tables.
PART V. APPENDICES.
A. Information in NIS+ Tables.
B. Pre-Setup Worksheets.
C. NIS+ Scripts Error Messages.
D. NIS+ API.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
Computers and Internet » Database » Design