- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Available May 2014
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Other titles in the Women Writers of Color series:
A Joyous Revolt: Toni Cade Bambara, Writer and Activist (Women Writers of Color)by Linda Holmes
Synopses & Reviews
A Joyous Revolt: Toni Cade Bambara, Writer and Activist is the first-ever, full-length biography of a trailblazing artist who championed black women in her fiction as well as in her life. This incisive study provides a comprehensive treatment of Bambara's published and unpublished works, and it also documents her emerging vision of her role as an agent of change.
The biography allows readers into the personal life of Bambara, offering personal insights into a woman with a strong public persona and friendships with other celebrated artists of her era. Perhaps most important for those seeking to understand and appreciate Bambara's legacy, it connects her oeuvre to the context of her experience and places all of her wide-ranging creative work in the context of her singular vision.
At long last—a book-length biography celebrates Toni Cade Bambara, a seminal literary, cultural, and political figure who was among the most widely read and frequently reviewed of the well-regarded black women writers to emerge in the l970s.
• Employs Bambara's fiction to illustrate the events of her life and vice versa
• Sheds new light on the influence of her travels and studies in Europe as a young woman upon the trajectory of her career
• Highlights her role as an organizer in the community of cultural workers and as an educator who eschewed traditional student-teacher dynamics
• Emphasizes her continuing role in promoting the work of emerging artists of color
• Interviews with established writers, activists, and film makers worldwide
• Exclusive access to personal documents previously unavailable for public review or research
What Our Readers Are Saying