- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Currently out of stock.
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Other titles in the PSI Guides to Terrorists, Insurgents, and Armed Groups series:
Armed for Life: The Army of God and Anti-Abortion Terror in the United States (Psi Guides to Terrorists, Insurgents, and Armed Groups)by Jennifer Jefferis
Synopses & Reviews
The Army of God may not be widely known, but they are well established as an extremist Christian organization united in their belief that abortion must be stopped at all costs, including the use of violence or force. Who are the primary players in this underground terrorist group, what acts are they responsible for, and what are the motivations behind their quest to make abortion illegal in the United States?
Armed for Life: The Army of God and Anti-Abortion Terror in the United StateS≪/i> addresses these questions and more, drawing upon never-before-published interviews with members of the Army of God and their own writings to reveal the details of this grossly understudied organization—and to document what its existence and expansion says about our society.
Book News Annotation:
In this carefully researched volume Jefferis, a professor of international security studies at the National Defense University in Washington, DC, examines the loose confederation of extreme anti-abortion activists who have participated or supported violent action in support of their cause. Describing a movement based on individual action and cell-style communication rather than a hierarchical structure that is more easily defined and combated by law enforcement, the work examines the details and people behind numerous anti-abortion bombings and assassinations over the past four decades. The work is detailed and includes numerous tables and copious reference material. Annotation ©2011 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
This book provides a detailed and comprehensive look at the primary players, acts, motivations, and methods of the Army of God in their quest to make abortion illegal in the United States.
The members of the Army of God are of various Christian denominations, rarely meet in person, and deny any coordination of attacks among themselves. They are unified in their belief that violence is a righteous response to abortion, however, and that God is the general of their army.
• Provides the first extensive written examination of the Army of God
• Gathers correspondence, interviews, manuscripts, and web postings into a single, accessible volume
• Contains valuable, relevant information for students of political science, religion, and sociology
• Presents an in-depth examination of the changing nature of abortion politics over the past century, providing important political and social context
• Highlights organizational characteristics that can be generalized to other cases of terrorism
• Includes interviews, selections from the Army of God manual, essays and books by members, web postings, and written correspondence
• Provides a chronology of attacks claimed by or attributed to the Army of God against abortion providers
• Examines the response by the political and law enforcement community to the Army of God
What Our Readers Are Saying
Health and Self-Help » Self-Help » General