- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
Coping with Kidney Disease: A 12-Step Treatment Program to Help You Avoid Dialysisby Mackenzie Walser
Synopses & Reviews
A revolutionary program that can indefinitely postpone the need for dialysis
If youve been diagnosed with kidney failure, this book could save your life. If you suffer from diabetes, hypertension, obesity, or any of a host of conditions that put you at risk for kidney disease, you owe it to yourself to read what is in this book. If you are among the 60,000 North Americans who go on dialysis each year, the information in this book could substantially improve your quality of life.
In Coping with Kidney Disease, a leading expert tells you, in plain English, what you need to know to:
The centerpiece of Coping with Kidney Disease is Dr. Walsers revolutionary 12-step program for avoiding dialysis. Based on treatments he has pioneered with his own patients at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, the program calls for a supplemented low-protein diet supported by treatments to control blood pressure and correct high cholesterol. So effective has this breakthrough strategy proven to be that in many patients it actually worked to slow or arrest the progression of kidney failure to the end stage.
Knowledge is power. Coping with Kidney Disease empowers you with what you need to take charge of kidney disease.
About the Author
Mackenzie Walser, M.D., is Professor of Pharmacology and Professor of Medicine at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
Betsy Thorpe is the coauthor of Carol Gubers Type 2 Diabetes Life Plan.
Table of Contents
Terms, Measures, and Abbreviations.
PART I: LOOKING AT THE DISEASE OF KIDNEY FAILURE.
1. What Do Kidneys Do and What Happens When They Fail?
2. Are You at Risk for Kidney Failure?
3. Symptoms of Kidney Failure.
PART II: HOW TO TREAT KIDNEY FAILURE.
4. Treating Kidney Failure.
5. STEP 1: Assess Your Current Treatment Plan.
6. STEP 2: Make Lifestyle Changes.
7. STEP 3: Follow a Low-Protein Diet.
8. STEP 4: Treat Salt and Water Problems.
9. STEP 5: Regulate Your Blood Pressure.
10. STEP 6: Treat Acidosis.
11. STEP 7: Treat Anemia and Iron Deficiency.
12. STEP 8: Treat Potassium Problems.
13. STEP 9: Treat Calcium and Phosphate Problems.
14. STEP 10: Treat Gout and Uric Acid Problems.
15. STEP 11: Treat Your High Cholesterol.
16. STEP 12: Know the Medications That Slow the Progression of Renal Failure.
PART III: TRACKING KIDNEY FAILURE, DIALYSIS, TRANSPLANTS, AND MORE.
17. Keeping Close Watch on Your Kidney Failure.
18. Dietary Treatment of the Nephrotic Syndrome.
19. Safe and Unsafe Medications for Patients with Kidney Failure.
20. Transplantation as an Alternative to Dialysis.
21. When to Opt for Dialysis.
22. Patients Who Have Avoided Dialysis.
Appendix 1: Resources for Kidney Patients.
Appendix 2: Government Support of Low-Protein Diets.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
Health and Self-Help » Health and Medicine » Diet and Nutrition