- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
New Trade Paper
Currently out of stock.
More copies of this ISBN
This title in other editions
The Israelisby Donna Rosenthal
Synopses & Reviews
Israel is smaller than New Jersey, with 0.11% of the world's population, yet captures a lion's share of headlines. It looks like one country on CNN, a very different one on al-Jazeera. The BBC has their version, andlt;iandgt;The New York Timesandlt;/iandgt; theirs. But how does Israel look to Israelis? The answers are varied, and they have been brought together here in one of the most original books about Israel in decades. From battlefields to bedrooms to boardrooms, discover the colliding worlds in which an astounding mix of 7.2 million devoutly traditional and radically modern people live. You'll meet "Arab Jews" who fled Islamic countries, dreadlock-wearing Ethiopian immigrants who sing reggae in Hebrew, Christians in Nazareth who publish an Arabic-style andlt;iandgt;Cosmoandlt;/iandgt;, young Israeli Muslims who know more about Judaism than most Jews of the Diaspora, ultra-Orthodox Jews on "Modesty Patrols," and more. Interweaving hundreds of personal stories with intriguing new research, andlt;iandgt;The Israelisandlt;/iandgt; is lively, irreverent, and always fascinating.
About the Author
Donna Rosenthal has written for The New York Times, The Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, Th
Table of Contents
Introduction: Colliding Worlds
I Becoming Israeli
1. One of the World's Most Volatile Neighborhoods
2. Dating and Mating Israeli-style
3. A People's Army
4. Swords into Stock Shares
II One Nation, Many Tribes
5. The Ashkenazim: Israel's "WASPS"
6. The Mizrahim: The Other Israelis
7. The Russians: The New Exodus
8. Out of Africa: Ethiopian Israelis in the Promised Land
III Widening Fault Lines Between Jews and Jews
9. The Haredim: Jewish-Jewish-Jewish
10. The Orthodox: This Land Is Your Land? This Land Is My Land!
11. The Non-Orthodox: War of the Cheeseburgers
IV Schizophrenia: Non-Jews in a Jewish State
12. The Muslims: Abraham's Other Children
13. The Bedouin: Tribes, Tents, and Satellite Dishes
14. The Druze: Between Modernity and Tradition
15. The Christians: Uneasy in the Land of Jesus
V The Sexual Revolution
16. Marriage, Polygamy, Adultery, and Divorce Israeli-style
17. Oy! Gay?
18. Hookers and Hash in the Holy Land
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
History and Social Science » Ethnic Studies » General