- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
More copies of this ISBN
Business Information Systemsby Paul Beynon-davies
Synopses & Reviews
Business Information Systems provides a comprehensive and accessible introduction to information systems and their application in organisations.
• Business-focused - concise but comprehensive coverage of the core material for business students
• Grounded in theory - provides a strong foundation in the subject
• Coherent and integrated - builds concepts systematically, showing the connections between subjects and leading to a more sophisticated understanding of how different areas interrelate
• Fully up-to-date - with the latest developments and cutting edge ideas from the field
• Practical - demonstrates the application of theory to real-world situations through over 30 specially-written case studies with global appeal plus new online 'Careers in IS' videos
• Supported - by a vast array of quality resources online at www.palgrave.com/business/beynon-daviesbis2e
Brand new key features for this second edition:
• Online 'Careers in IS' videos with integrated exercises in the book, easily accessible via a QR code, and featuring leading practitioners in the public and private sectors. These include the CTO of the BBC and the Deputy Head of e-Commerce at Schuh.co.uk talking about why technology is central to business operations, and providing valuable career guidance.
• New sections throughout including cloud computing, mobile eCommerce, eGovernment and green ICT
• Content aligned with IS2010 model curricula and capability outcomes and AACSB and AMBA requirements.
• Nine new UK and international cases including 'The Arab Spring and Social Media', 'Off-shoring in Bangalore' and 'The Indian Identity Number'.
Business Information Systems links with 15 cases from the Journal of Information Technology and the Journal of Information Technology Teaching Cases with easy online access.
Business Information Systems is focused on the needs of Business and Management students. It provides comprehensive coverage of all the core topics on information systems modules and builds up understanding in an integrated, coherent way. It assumes no prior knowledge of the subject and has a strong theoretical underpinning, coupled with practical application and case studies to bring the topic alive.
A comprehensive but focussed introduction for business students to the application of IS in organisations, using a systems-theory approach, with extensive examples and case studies, including online videos. Terminology is admirably clear and topics are interconnected so that students get a sense of the whole, not a series of isolated issues.
About the Author
PAUL BEYNON-DAVIES is Professor ofBusiness Informaticsat the Cardiff Business School at Cardiff University, UK. He spent several years in the ICT industry and is the author of a number of highly successful books including Information Systems, Information Systems Development and Database Systems.
Table of Contents
Message to Students
Message to Lecturers
About the Book
Guided Tour of the Book
1. Introduction: The Domain of Business Information Systems
PART I: KEY CONCEPTS
2. Organisations and Systems
3. Data, Information and Knowledge
4. Information Systems and Organisational Infrastructure
PART II: UNDERSTANDING ICT
5. Communication Infrastructure
6. ICT Systems Infrastructure
PART III: APPLYING INFORMATION SYSTEMS TO BUSINESS
7. The Business Environment
8. Electronic Business, Electronic Commerce and Electronic Government
9. Assessing the Use and Impact of Information Systems
PART IV: MANAGING INFORMATION SYSTEMS IN BUSINESS
10. Planning, Strategy and Management
11. Services, Projects and Operations
12. Information Systems Development
13. Conclusion: Successful Informatics Practice
What Our Readers Are Saying