- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
New Trade Paper
Currently out of stock.
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
More copies of this ISBN
This title in other editions
Other titles in the Travelers' Tales Guides series:
A Woman's World: True Stories of Life on the Roadby Marybeth Bond
Synopses & Reviews
For generations the bulk of worldwide travelers were men, but today women are taking the lead, venturing out on their own or with others, making connections, spreading goodwill, confronting challenges. More and more its a womans world, and this collection of stories by 50 women is inspiring, enlightening, and entertaining. It will move you out of your armchair, take you along paths of memory, and fill you with the spirit of adventure.
- Join Pam Houston as she weathers depression and a blizzard camping in the mountains of Utah
- Ride on the hormone rollercoaster of menopause on a jungle river trip in Borneo with Tracy Johnston
- Experience a spiritual awakening with Jean Shinoda Bolen, M.D., at Chartres Cathedral in France
- Ride across the steppes of Mongolia on a horse with no name with Lynn Ferrin
- Shoot the rapids of the Grand Canyon with grandmother Ruth Bond as she fulfills a lifelong dream
- Laugh with Carole Chelsea George as she finds she is worth ten buffalo cows in Pakistan for her hand in marriage
- Marvel with Mary Beth Simmons at the vibrant community of women who meet every day at the well in Cameroon
This illustrated collection of inspirational travel and adventure tales includes stories by Gretel Ehrlich, Barbara Grizzuti Harrison, Helen Thayer, Mary Morris, and more. Readers ride across the steppes of Mongolia on horseback with Lynn Ferrin; experience a spiritual awakening with Jean Shinoda Bolen at Chartres Cathedral; raft a wild jungle river in Borneo with a menopausal Tracy Johnston; and join Pam Houston as she weathers a blizzard while camping in the Utah mountains. Spanning the generations with travel stories about the rewards of risk taking and making dreams a reality, A Woman's World is the winner of the Lowell Thomas Gold Medal for Best Travel Book.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 411-416) and index.
With inspirational travel and adventures tales by such notable women as Gretel Ehrlich, Helen Thayer, and Mary Morris, this award-winning collection spans generations with stories about the rewards of taking risks and making dreams a reality. Illustrations. Maps.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like