- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
This item may be
Check for Availability
Multicultural Law Enforcement: Strategies for Peacekeeping in a Diverse Society
Synopses & Reviews
From a diverse team of writers whose expertise spans law enforcement and cross-cultural relations, comes a book with comprehensive coverage of sensitive topics and issues related to diversity and multiculturalism facing police today and in the 21st century. It contains insightful as well as practical information and guidelines on how law enforcement professionals can work effectively with diverse cultural groups, both inside their organizations as well as in the community. Focusing on the cross-cultural and racial contact that police officers and civilian employees have with citizens, victims, suspects, and co-workers from diverse backgrounds, this book contains information on racial profiling, hate crimes, community-based policing, undocumented immigrants and immigrant women, urban dynamics, and gays and lesbians in law enforcement. For law enforcement managers, supervisors, officers, and instructors.
Not multicultural law, mind you, but multicultural enforcement. A textbook for police departments and academies and police curricula in colleges and universities. It examines the pervasive influence of culture, race, and ethnicity in the workplace and in multicultural communities. The first edition
Table of Contents
I. IMPACT OF CULTURAL DIVERSITY ON LAW ENFORCEMENT.
1. Multicultural Communities: Challenges for Law Enforcement.
2. The Changing Law Enforcement Agency: A Microcosm of Society.
3. Multicultural Representation in Law Enforcement: Recruitment, Retention, and Promotion.
4. Cross-Cultural Communication for Law Enforcement.
II. CULTURAL SPECIFICS FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT.
5. Law Enforcement Contact with Asian/Pacific Americans.
6. Law Enforcement Contact with African Americans.
7. Law Enforcement Contact with Latino/Hispanic Americans.
8. Law Enforcement Contact with Arab Americans and Other Middle Eastern Groups.
9. Law Enforcement Contact with Native Americans.
III. MULTICULTURAL LAW ENFORCEMENT ELEMENTS IN TERRORISM AND HOMELAND SECURITY.
10. Multicultural Law Enforcement and Terrorism.
11. Law Enforcement and Homeland Security.
IV. RESPONSE STRATEGIES: CRIMES MOTIVATED BY HATE/BIAS AND RACIAL PROFILING.
12. Hate/Bias Crimes: Insights and Response Strategies.
13. Hate/Bias Crimes: Reporting and Tracking.
14. Racial Profiling.
V. CULTURAL EFFECTIVENESS FOR PEACE OFFICERS.
15. Peace Officer Image and Cultural Sensitivity.
16. Emerging Strategies, Roles, and Technology for Peace Officers in Multicultural Law Enforcement.
Appendix A: Multicultural Community and Workforce: Attitude Assessment Survey.
Appendix B: Cultural Diversity Survey: Needs Assessment.
Appendix C: Listing of Consultants and Resources.
Appendix D: Self-Assessment of Communication Skills in Law Enforcement: Communications Inventory.
What Our Readers Are Saying