- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
This item may be
Check for Availability
Other titles in the How the Internet Works series:
How the Internet Works 7TH Editionby Preston Gralla
Synopses & Reviews
Simple, clear explanations walk you through every technology
Detailed explanations walk you through the technology.
The Internet has changed the world... and, with everything from blogs to podcasts, Internet phones to video, it’s still changing the world. Now, it’s easy to understand how it all works! This book’s big, brilliant, full-color illustrations and clear explanations make it all incredibly simple!
DISCOVER HOW THE INTERNET REALLY WORKS... IT’S AMAZINGLY EASY!
This new edition has been completely updated for today’s hottest Internet technologies, Web connections, hardware, communications and entertainment services, and much more!
• See how the Internet can deliver any kind of information, anywhere: web pages, email, music, video, phone calls, and more!
• Understand the most exciting new Internet technologies, from blogs and podcasting to wikis and BitTorrent
• Discover how your connection to the Internet works... wireless, cable modem, DSL, even cellphones
• Go behind the scenes with today’s most sophisticated websites, applications, and services
• Protect yourself from the latest Internet dangers, including phishing, web surveillance, and wireless hacking
Preston Gralla is the award-winning author of more than 30 books, including How the Internet Works, Complete Idiot’s Guide to Internet Privacy and Security, Complete Idiot’s Guide to Protecting Your Child Online, and How Wireless Works. He has written
frequently about security issues, computer technology, the Internet, and has been a columnist for many magazines, websites
This work explains and demystifies the Internet and the technologies that make it work.
How the Internet Works, Seventh Edition is divided into eight parts, starting with a brief introduction to the Internet. This is followed by sections that cover connecting and communicating on the Internet, security and privacy, multimedia, Intranets and more. This book is up to date on the hottest technologies such as:
About the Author
Preston Gralla is the award-winning author of 20 books, including How Wireless Works, How To Expand and Upgrade PCs, and The Complete Idiot's Guide to Protecting Yourself Online. He is an executive editor and columnist for CNet and ZDNet; is a technology columnist for the Dallas Morning News; and has written about technology for many magazines and newspapers, including USA Today, PC Magazine, the Los Angeles Times, Boston Magazine, PC/Computing, Computerworld, and FamilyPC among many others. Gralla has won several writing and editing awards, including one from the Computer Press Association for the best feature article in a computer magazine.
As a well-known expert on computers and the Internet, he has appeared frequently on numerous TV and radio shows and networks, including the CBS Early Show, CNN, National Public Radio's All Things Considered, MSNBC, CNBC, TechTV, and CNet Radio.
He was the founding managing editor of the well-known newspaper PC Week and a founding editor of PC/Computing. Under his editorship, PC/Computing was a finalist for General Excellence from the National Magazine Awards.
Gralla lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts, with his wife Lydia, children Gabriel and Mia, and a rabbit named Polichinelle. He also writes the free Gralla's Internet Insider email newsletter. To subscribe to it for free, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words SUBSCRIBE NETINSIDER on the subject line.
Table of Contents
I. UNDERSTANDING THE INTERNET'S UNDERLYING ARCHITECTURE.
1. What Is the Internet?
2. How Computer Networks Send Data Across the Internet.
3. How TCP/IP Works.
4. Understanding the Internet's Software Structure.
5. How Internet Addresses and Domains Work.
6. How Routers Work.
II. CONNECTING TO THE INTERNET.
7. How Computers Connect to the Internet.
8. How a Modem Works.
9. How Internet/Television Connections Work.
10. How the Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) Works.
11. How You Connect to the Internet from Online Services.
12. How Wireless and Palmtop Connections Work.
13. How Home Networks Work.
III. COMMUNICATING ON THE INTERNET.
14. How Email Works.
15. How Email Spam Works.
16. How Newsgroups Work.
17. How Internet Chat and Instant Messaging Work.
18. How Internet Phone Calls Work.
IV. USING THE WORLD WIDE WEB.
19. How Web Pages Work.
20. How Web Browsers Work.
21. How Markup Languages Work.
22. How Hypertext Works.
23. How URLs Work.
24. How Image Maps and Interactive Forms Work.
25. How Web Host Servers Work.
26. How Web Sites Work with Databases.
27. How .NET and Web Services Work.
28. How Grid Computing Works.
V. USING COMMON INTERNET TOOLS.
29. How Telnet Works.
30. How FTP Works.
31. How Internet Searching Works.
32. How Agents Work.
34. How CGI Scripting Works.
VI. ENJOYING ENTERTAINMENT AND MULTIMEDIA ON THE INTERNET.
35. How Music and Audio Work on the Internet.
36. How Music Sharing and File Sharing Work.
37. How Video on the Internet Works.
38. How Multicast IP and the MBone Work.
39. How Virtual Reality Works.
40. How Animation on the Web Works.
VII. SHOPPING AND DOING BUSINESS ON THE INTERNET.
41. How Intranets Work.
42. Shopping on the Internet.
VIII. PROTECTING YOURSELF ON THE INTERNET.
43. How Firewalls Work.
44. How Hackers Can Cripple the Internet and Attack Your PC.
45. How Viruses Work.
46. How Internet Sites and Software Can Invade Your Privacy.
47. Cryptography, Privacy, and Digital Certificates.
48. How FBI and Workplace Surveillance Work.
49. Parental Controls on the Internet.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Business » Consumer Guides