- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
Southern Africa (Lonely Planet Southern Africa)by Alan Murphy
Synopses & Reviews
Lonely Planet's 5th edition of Southern Africa brings you the most extensive coverage of the region. Go on safari in Kruger National Park, taste your way through South Africa's Winelands, glide in a traditional dugout canoe down the Okavango Delta, snorkel in Lake Malawi and be amazed by one of the seven natural wonders of the world, Victoria Falls.
Lonely Planet guides are written by experts who get to the heart of every destination they visit. This fully updated edition is packed with accurate, practical and honest advice, designed to give you the information you need to make the most of your trip.
In This Guide:
Detailed itineraries take you from laid-back coasts to unforgettable safaris
Dedicated music chapter gets you into the African groove
Green Index highlights the best ecofriendly options
One of the very few guides to cover not only South Africa, but also Swaziland, Namibia, Zimbabwe, and Mozambique, this resource includes listings handpicked by expert and resident authors. 160 maps.
Discover Southern Africa
Climb atop a scorching sand dune in Sossusvlei, Namibia, and listen to the overpowering silence, p371.
Fall asleep to the sounds of grunting hippos and howling hyenas in Mana Pools National Park, Zimbabwe, p705.
Stand on the sidelines during Swaziland's Umhlanga Dance, while potential wives parade before the king, p607.
In this Guide
8 authors, 249 days of in-country research, 109 maps, 97 buses.
Specialist music chapter and full-color wildlife section.
Incorporating 1073 traveler tips and suggestions.
Don't take our word for it - find out what travelers think at lonelyplanet.com
Who We Are
At Lonely Planet, we see our job as inspiring and enabling travelers to connect with the world for their own benefit and for the benefit of the world at large.
What We Do
• We offer travelers the world’s richest travel advice, informed by the collective wisdom of over 350 Lonely Planet authors living in 37 countries and fluent in 70 languages.
• We are relentless in finding the special, the unique and the different for travellers wherever they are.
• When we update our guidebooks, we check every listing, in person, every time.
• We always offer the trusted filter for those who are curious, open minded and independent.
• We challenge our growing community of travelers; leading debate and discussion about travel and the world.
• We tell it like it is without fear or favor in service of the travelers; not clouded by any other motive.
What We Believe
We believe that travel leads to a deeper cultural understanding and compassion and therefore a better world.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like