- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
This item may be
Check for Availability
Climatology: An Atmospheric Science
Synopses & Reviews
Recent climatic changes (e.g., global warming, El Niño) have brought climate to the forefront of popular science. Climatology: An Atmospheric Science, Second Edition explains the science behind these widely publicized events within the systematic coverage of climate and climatology. In addition, readers will gain an appreciation of the impact climate has on life as well as the basic processes that operate in the atmosphere. Covers Physical And Dynamic Climatology; Regional Climatology; Past And Future Climates; Applied Climatology; and more. For readers interested in science, climatology, or weather.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 411-413) and index.
Table of Contents
I. PHYSICAL AND DYNAMIC CLIMATOLOGY.
1. The Basis of Modern Climatology.
2. The Energy Balance.
3. Atmospheric Temperatures.
4. Moisture in the Atmosphere.
5. Motion in the Atmosphere.
6. Global Circulation of the Atmosphere.
7. Oceans and Inter-Annual Variations in Climate.
8. Air Mass and Synoptic Climatology.
9. The Nature and Hazard of Atmospheric Extreme Events.
II. REGIONAL CLIMATOLOGY.
10. Regional Climate: Scales of Study.
11. Tropical Climates.
12. The Mid-Latitude Climates.
13. Polar and Highland Climates.
III. PAST AND FUTURE CLIMATES.
14. Reconstructing the Past.
15. Natural Causes of Climatic Change.
16. The Warming of Planet Earth.
IV. APPLIED CLIMATOLOGY.
17. The Human Response to Climate.
18. Climate, Agriculture and Industry.
19. Global Changes in Atmospheric Chemistry: Acid Precipitation and Ozone Depletion.
20. Statistical Analysis Using Climatic Data.
Appendix / Metric Units.
What Our Readers Are Saying