- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
New Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
Other titles in the Demystified series:
PIC Robotics: A Beginner's Guide to Robotics Projects Using the PIC Micro (Demystified)by John Iovine
Synopses & Reviews
Complete, do-it-yourself robotics projects!
* Artificial vision system that uses a CCD camera to track and follow brightly colored objects
* Bi-pedal robots that walk upright
* Functional robotic arm
* Easily programmed behavior-based robots
* Complete parts lists for all projects
* Step-by-step directions for several complete projects — inspiration for hundreds more
PUT POWERFUL, LOW-COST MICROCHIPS AND NEW TECHNOLOGIES INTO HOME-BUILT ROBOTS
Dramatic improvements in technologies and significant cost reductions in 8-bit microprocessors have spawned a renaissance in robot building. PIC Robotics, from popular electronics author John Iovine, shows amateur (and professional) electronics enthusiasts how to get in on the fun, using the power of Microchip's versatile 8-bit PIC microprocessor family to build sophisticated robots more cheaply and easily than you thought possible.
With PIC Robotics, you can build robots that:
* Use a CCD camera to capture and follow a visual target
* Walk on two legs (bi-pedal walker)
* Walk on six legs (hexapodal walker)
* Obey verbal commands (speech recognition)
* Look for and track bright light sources
* And do it inexpensively!
Here's everything the robotics hobbyist needs to harness the power of the PICMicro MCU. In this heavily-illustrated resource, author Iovine provides plans and complete parts lists for 11 easy-to-build robots each with a PICMicro "brain."
- Projects include a bi-pedal robot that walks upright, an artificial vision robot that will track and follow various visual cues, and a functional robotic arm- Discusses Braitenberg vehicles, Grey Walter behavioral robots, and a speech recognition system.- Step-by-step directions for each project and inspiration for hundreds more
About the Author
John Iovine is the author of several popular TAB titles that explore the frontiers of scientific research. He has written Homemade Holograms: The Complete Guide to Inexpensive, Do-It-Yourself Holography; Robots, Androids, and Animatrons: 12 Incredible Projects You Can Build, considered a cult classic; Kirlian Photography: A Hands-On Guide; Fantastic Electronics: Build Your Own Negative-Ion Generator and Other Projects; and A Step Into Virtual Reality. Mr. Iovine has also written extensively for Popular Electronics, Nuts & Volts, Electronics Now, and other periodicals.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Robot Intelligence
Chapter 3. Installing THE EPIC Software
Chapter 5. Using DOS to Code, Compile, and Program
Chapter 7. Intelligence
Chapter 9. Braitenberg Vehicles
Chapter 11. Speech Recognition
Chapter 13. Bi-Pedal Walker Robot