- Used Books
- Kobo eReading
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
Error Control Coding 2ND Editionby Shu Lin
Synopses & Reviews
This popular textbook on error control coding has been thoroughly revised and updated to include all the important new developments in the field over the past 20 years. Three major new topics in the theory and application of coding are highlighted in this second edition:
A total of seven completely new chapters are devoted to these three topics.
Continuing with the style that made the first edition so successful, the authors present the essential aspects of complex material in an easily understood manner requiring only a minimum of mathematical background. Many examples and performance curves are included to help illustrate important concepts. Extensive sets of exercises and references are given at the end of each chapter. This makes the book well suited as a text for a first course in coding theory at either the beginning graduate or advanced undergraduate level. Various choices of topics can be included in one semester. Alternately, most of the book can be covered in a two-semester sequence. Because of its comprehensive coverage of the fundamental theory and practical application of error control coding systems and its many lists of optimum codes, the book is also ideal as a reference for practicing digital system designers.
This textbook is intended for a first course on coding theory. It aims to provide a bridge between introductory courses in digital communications and more advanced courses in information theory, presenting error control techniques and the design of real error control systems.
Table of Contents
1. Coding for Reliable Digital Transmission and Storage.
2. Introduction to Algebra.
3. Linear Block Codes.
4. Important Linear Block Codes.
5. Cyclic Codes.
6. Binary BCH Codes.
7. Nonbinary BCH Codes, Reed-Solomon Codes, and Decoding Algorithms.
8. Majority-Logic Decodable Codes.
9. Trellises for Linear Block Codes.
10. Reliability-Based Soft-Decision Decoding Algorithms for Linear Block Codes.
11. Convolutional Codes.
12. Trellis-Based Decoding Algorithms for Convolutional Codes.
13. Sequential and Threshold Decoding of Convolutional Codes.
14. Trellis-Based Soft-Decision Algorithms for Linear Block Codes.
15. Concatenated Coding, Code Decomposition ad Multistage Decoding.
16. Turbo Coding.
17. Low Density Parity Check Codes.
18. Trellis Coded Modulation.
19. Block Coded Modulation.
20. Burst-Error-Correcting Codes.
21. Automatic-Repeat-Request Strategies.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Computers and Internet » Artificial Intelligence » General