- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
Applied Partial Differential Equations (4TH 04 - Old Edition)by Richard Haberman
Synopses & ReviewsPlease note that used books may not include additional media (study guides, CDs, DVDs, solutions manuals, etc.) as described in the publisher comments.
Emphasizing the physical interpretation of mathematical solutions, this book introduces applied mathematics while presenting partial differential equations. Topics addressed include heat equation, method of separation of variables, Fourier series, Sturm-Liouville eigenvalue problems, finite difference numerical methods for partial differential equations, nonhomogeneous problems, Green's functions for time-independent problems, infinite domain problems, Green's functions for wave and heat equations, the method of characteristics for linear and quasi-linear wave equations and a brief introduction to Laplace transform solution of partial differential equations. For scientists and engineers.
Appropriate for an undergraduate first course, this text's in-depth elementary presentation is intended primarily for students in science, engineering, and applied mathematics.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 726-730) and index.
Table of Contents
1. Heat Equation.
2. Method of Separation of Variables.
3. Fourier Series.
4. Vibrating Strings and Membranes.
5. Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue Problems.
6. Finite Difference Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations.
7. Partial Differential Equations with at Least Three Independent Variables.
8. Nonhomogeneous Problems.
9. Green's Functions for Time-Independent Problems.
10. Infinite Domain Problems—Fourier Transform Solutions of Partial Differential Equations.
11. Green's Functions for Wave and Heat Equations.
12. The Method of Characteristics for Linear and Quasi-Linear Wave Equations.
13. A Brief Introduction to Laplace Transform Solution of Partial Differential Equations.
14. Topics: Dispersive Waves, Stability, Nonlinearity, and Perturbation Methods.
Selected Answers to Starred Exercises.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
Science and Mathematics » Mathematics » Analysis General
Science and Mathematics » Mathematics » Differential Equations
Science and Mathematics » Mathematics » General
Transportation » Automotive » General