- Used Books
- Kobo eReading
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
This title in other editions
World War II: A Short Historyby Michael J Lyons
Synopses & Reviews
Author Michael J. Lyons has drawn from the vast array of new historical literature to update this fourth edition. He has increased his coverage of the Holocaust as well as German occupation policies along with both collaboration and resistance among various European peoples. Readers will find an expanded chapter on the home fronts of the leading belligerent powers, greater attention to Japan 'n the period preceding the war as well as a discussion of the bitter hatred that characterized the conflict between Americans and Japanese in the Pacific. Lyons also focuses more fully on the Allied D-Day landings along the coast of Normandy in June 1944 and on the hardships of the common fighting man during the conflict.
In addition to numerous photographs, thirty-five revised maps contribute to the reader's understanding of military campaigns. The extensively revised bibliographical essay provides a wealth of suggestions for additional reading.
For courses on World War II, Military History, and 20th Century Europe.
Highly regarded for its concise clarification of the complexities of World War II, this book illuminates the origins, course, and long-range effects of the war. It provides a balanced account that analyzes both the European and Pacific theaters of operations and the connections between them. The Fifth Edition incorporates new material based on the latest scholarship, offering updated conclusions on key topics and expanded coverage throughout.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 344-364) and index.
Table of Contents
I. THE ORIGINS OF WORLD WAR II.
1. World War I: The Great Turning Point.
2. The Legacy of World War I.
3. The Rise of the Dictators.
4. The Road to War.
II. GERMANY'S MARCH OF CONQUEST.
5. Blitzkrieg in the East, Sitzkrieg in the West.
6. Complications in the North: Finland, Denmark, Norway.
7. The Fall of France.
8. Britain Is Still an Island.
9. The Plot Thickens: The Mediterranean and the Balkans.
III. THE WAR BECOMES GLOBAL.
10. Operation Barbarossa: Dream of Lebensraum.
11. Hitler's New Order in Europe.
12. America Enters the War.
13. Japan Triumphant, December 1941-May 1942.
IV. THE TIDE TURNS.
14. The Tide Turns in the Pacific.
15. The Tide Turns in Europe: Stalingrad and El Alamein.
16. The Second Front Question and the Invasion of North America.
17. Probing the Underbelly: Sicily and Italy.
18. War in the Atlantic.
19. Target Germany: The Allied Bombing Offensive.
20. Total War and the Home Fronts.
V. THE TRIUMPH OF THE ALLIES.
21. Russia Moves West, 1943-44.
22. Cross-Channel Invasion at Last: D Day to the German Border.
23. The End of the Thousand-Year Reich.
24. Island Hopping in the Pacific.
25. War on the Periphery: China, Burma, India.
26. The Collapse of Japan.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like