- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Used Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
More copies of this ISBN
Environmental Issues: An Introduction to Sustainabilityby Robert L Mcconnell
Synopses & Reviews
This book combines simple math, the metric system, and critical thinking to gain insight into relevant local, regional, and global environmental issues, with a focus on sustainability. The presentation of real-world issues and examples fosters the development of the math and analytical skills necessary to truly think critically and to understand these complex issues. A seven-part organization examines basic concepts and tools, as well as topical, relevant, and timely issues related to principles of sustainability, population and migration, climate change, energy, consumption and the quality of life, threats to ecosystems, and sustainability and the individual. For individuals interested in environmental studies and science, and in the relationship of math and science to the environment.
Never HIGHLIGHT a Book Again! Virtually all testable terms, concepts, persons, places, and events are included. Cram101 Textbook Outlines gives all of the outlines, highlights, notes for your textbook with optional online practice tests. Only Cram101 Outlines are Textbook Specific. Cram101 is NOT the Textbook.
Table of Contents
Basic Concepts and Tools.
Part One: Principles of Sustainability.
Part Two: Population and Migration.
1. Global Population Growth: Is it Sustainable?
2. Carrying Capacity and Ecological Footprint.
3. Coastal Population Growth: Bangladesh.
4. The Impact of Migration.
Part Three: Climate Change.
5. Greenhouse Gases and Climate Change.
6. The Challenges of Climate Change.
Part Four: Energy.
7. Oil and Natural Gas.
9. Bringing the World to The U.S. Standard of Living.
10. Sustainable Energy.
Part Five: Consumption and the Quality of Life.
11. Global Water Supplies: Are they Sustainable?
12. Motor Vehicles and the Environment.
13. Motor Vehicles and the Environment: Global Trends.
14. Whacker Madness? The Proliferation of Turfgrass.
15. The Impact of Interjurisdictional Waste Disposal: Truckin’ Trash.
16. Mining: Is It Sustainable?
17. Environmental Health: POPs.
Part Six: hreats to Ecosystems.
18. Global Grain Production: Can We Beef It Up?
19. Soils and Sustainable Societies.
20. The State of Global Forests.
21. Restoring Estuaries: Chesapeake Bay.
22. Illegal Immigration.
23. Catch of the Day: The State of Global Fisheries.
Part Seven: Sustainability and the Individual.
24. Sustainable Communities: Sprawl vs. Smart Growth.
25. Sustainable Coastal Development.
26. Sustainable Buildings and Housing.
27. The Three R’s: Reduction, Recycling, Reuse.
28. A Sustainable Diet.
29. The Sustainable Campus.
30. Restoration Ecology.
What Our Readers Are Saying
Science and Mathematics » Biology » General
Science and Mathematics » Environmental Studies » General
Textbooks » General