- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Used Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
More copies of this ISBN
Other titles in the Primate Field Studies series:
Strategies of Sex and Survival Hamadryas Baboons (05 Edition)by Larissa Swedell
Synopses & ReviewsPlease note that used books may not include additional media (study guides, CDs, DVDs, solutions manuals, etc.) as described in the publisher comments.
This book is an essential, up-to-date reference on the behavior, ecology, and reproduction of wild hamadryas baboons. This book rectifies the male-biased view of hamadryas baboon behavior that has persisted over the decades, suggesting that female behavior contributes more to hamadryas social organization than has previously been assumed, and that females may, in fact, be acting in their own best interests after all. Those potentially conducting research on hamadryas baboons, baboons in general, or primates in general include university faculty, researchers at other institutions, and undergraduate and graduate students world-wide.
Table of Contents
1. Hamadryas Baboons: the Male as Leader and Icon.
2. Reproductive Strategies in Primates: Conflicts Between the Sexes.
3. My Study Site, Subjects, and Methods.
4. Hamadryas Behavioral Ecology: Negotiating a Hostile Land.
5. Hamadryas Social Organization: the Haves and the Have-Nots.
6. Reproduction and the Hamadryas Female.
7. Affiliation Among Females: Females Can Be Friends Too.
8. Dispersal and Philopatry: Who Stays and Who Goes?
9. Female Strategies in a Male-Dominated World.
What Our Readers Are Saying
History and Social Science » Anthropology » Physical