- STAFF PICKS
- GIFTS + GIFT CARDS
- SELL BOOKS
- FIND A STORE
Used Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
More copies of this ISBN
Media and Society (5TH 12 Edition)by Michael Oshaughnessy
Synopses & ReviewsPlease note that used books may not include additional media (study guides, CDs, DVDs, solutions manuals, etc.) as described in the publisher comments.
Media and Society examines the role of the media in contemporary society and analyses representations of the world found in advertisements, film, television, photographs and language. It clearly presents theoretical approaches and includes many examples, definitions, issues questions and explanations to aid students' understanding.
About the Author
Michael O'Shaughnessy taught film and media studies for twenty years in UK and Australian universities.
Jane Stadler is Senior Lecturer in Film and Television Studies at University of Queensland.
Table of Contents
Part 1 Getting Ready: The Media and Media Studies
1. Defining the Media
2. Media Studies
3. What Do the Media Do to Us? Media and Society
4. What's in a Name? Language and the Social Construction of Reality
5. Mediation and Representation
7. New Media and Technological Development
Part 2 Pictures: Semiotic Analysis
9. Reading Images and Advertisements
10. Model Essay: Semiotic Analysis of an Advertisement
Part 3 Making Sense: Discourse, Ideology, and Hegemony
11. Defining Discourse and Ideology
12. Where Are Discourses and Ideologies Found?
13. Dominant Ideology and Hegemony
14. Culture Jamming and Counter-hegemony
Part 4 Stories: Approaches for Narrative Analysis
15. Genres, Codes, and Conventions
16. The Language of Film: American Beauty
17. Narrative Structure and Binary Oppositions
18. Documentary and Reality TV
19. Why Stories?
Part 5 Media and Identity: Representation, Impact, and Influence
20. Feminism, Postfeminism, and Ideologies of Femininity
21. Ideologies and Discourses of Masculinity
22. Ethnicity, Ideology, and the Media
Part 6 But they Keep Moving the Posts: Postmodern and Global Perspectives
23. Stars and Celebrities
What Our Readers Are Saying
Other books you might like
History and Social Science » Journalism » General
History and Social Science » Sociology » Media
Textbooks » General