- Used Books
- Staff Picks
- Gifts & Gift Cards
- Sell Books
- Stores & Events
- Let's Talk Books
Special Offers see all
More at Powell's
Recently Viewed clear list
Used Trade Paper
Ships in 1 to 3 days
available for shipping or prepaid pickup only
Available for In-store Pickup
in 7 to 12 days
More copies of this ISBN
Aquatic Handbook Lifetime (96 Edition)by Jane Katz
Synopses & ReviewsPlease note that used books may not include additional media (study guides, CDs, DVDs, solutions manuals, etc.) as described in the publisher comments.
The Aquatic Handbook for Lifetime Fitness is organized by skills, allowing the instructor to set the order in which he/she teaches the material. With an emphasis on both learning and reinforcing aquatic skills, this book includes skill exercises and drills.
This handbook covers aquatics-its history, preparation for entering the water, and building blocks-; stroke techniques; lap fitness training; water exercises (deep and shallow water techniques); additional water fitness activities, such as diving, synchronized swimming, cross-training, and pool games. It also covers ancillary topics which work toward setting a framework of a lifetime fitness activity, such as swimming tips at various stages of the lifespan, nutrition, and how to swim with physical and medical disabilities.
Table of Contents
Unit I. Introduction to Aquatics.
1. History and Background of Aquatics.
2. Preparing for Aquatic Fitness.
3. Building Blocks of Aquatics.
Unit II. Stroke Techniques.
4. Crawl Stroke.
9. Turns and Push-Offs.
Unit III. Lap Fitness Training.
10. Lap Lingo for Conditioning.
11. 50 Ways to Leave the Gutter.
Unit IV. Water Exercise.
12. Introduction to Water Exercise Techniques.
13. Sample Shallow Water Exercises Techniques.
14. Deep Water Exercise.
15. W.E.T. Equipment for Aquatic Fitness.
16. Sport W. E. T. S. - Cross Training.
Unit V. Additional Water Fitness Activities.
17. Introduction to Diving.
18. Synchronized Swimming Starters.
19. Water Games.
20. Competitive Swimming and Triathlons: Take Your Marks!
21. Life Saving Emergency Safety Procedures.
Unit VI. Special Topics.
22. Other Water Environments.
23. Family Fitness.
24. Special Needs.
26. Questions and Answers.
Appendix A. Personal and Progress Charts for the Student.
Appendix B. Charts and Forms for Class Instructor.
Appendix C. Aquatic Information Sources.
What Our Readers Are Saying